johnes

Help Support Steer Planet:

shd

i am going to a cattle sale saturday. and looking at the catalog i noticed some of the cattle are level two johnes. Iknow what johnes is i dont know what lvel two is. Thank you for any information you can give me.

DL

shd said:
i am going to a cattle sale saturday. and looking at the catalog i noticed some of the cattle are level two johnes. Iknow what johnes is i dont know what lvel two is. Thank you for any information you can give me.

Basically relates to a USDA state cooperative program and refers to meeting biosecurity and testing requirements. Goes from level 1 to level 4 - level 2 indicates that they have tested negative for 2 years -  the size of the herd depends on the number of animals to be tested per year  (gets kinda mathematically complicated). There are very few status level beef herds in the US. The program is for both beef and dairy, but was started with dairy. Herds of less than a certain size require testing of all animals annually

See http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10625&page=182

check out the flow chart

Herd Status Levels: herds may achieve status Levels of 1, 2, 3 or 4. Each level of increase indicates higher confidence in the Johne’s disease free status of the herd. (Percentages shown on the flow diagrams in Appendix II represent a mathematical estimate of the probability herds at each level of certification are free of Johne’s disease based on serial testing.)

The standard track is designed to allow entry to the program with a minimal investment of funds and gradually increases the producer’s investment in the program. The standard track will require at least three years and four tests to reach Level 4.

Level 1—program entry requirements met, negative ELISA on 30 second or higher lactation animals. A sample size of thirty was selected to optimize herd sensitivity and herd specificity and maintain a fixed cost for all herds entering the program.

Level 2—met requirements for Level 1, and negative ELISA on a statistical subset of second or higher lactation animals (see Appendix I for the Herd Subset Testing chart). The Level 2 testing must be completed within 10–14 months of any Level 1 testing.

Level 3—met requirements for Level 2 and have negative fecal culture results on a statistical subset of second and higher lactation herd members. Bulls two years of age and older must be included in this testing (see Appendix I for the Herd Subset Testing Chart). The fecal culture must be collected within 10–14 months of any Level 2 testing.

Level 4—met requirements for Level 3 and have a negative ELISA on a statistical subset of second or higher lactation animals. Level 4 testing must be completed within 10–14 months of any Level 3 testing. Level 4 status is maintained by achieving negative ELISA results on 30 second or higher lactation animals every 10–14 months.