Johnes

Help Support Steer Planet:

xxcc

well then, retitle it Johnes in cattle?  by your responses, Johnes must be worse than I thought, as I said, we don't have experience with Johnes in Montana.  can you tell me the symptons and effects?  it must be viral?

I have a bull that came from the same herd in Canada where some of his cattle originated.  He has never been sick, so I didn't think I should worry, but hearing this, I thought I'd see what people knew.

red

DL had some great threads on it. I'll see if I can locate them.
Sorry I deleted first thread.

Red

xxcc

well, i saw his cattle last Spring and some of them were underconditioned with dull hair and looked like they'd had an adult case of the scours.  I thought maybe it was because he was scrimping on feed.  but now that I became aware of this, I was curious.  I have never heard talk of Johnes in Montana.  I'm sure we can test for it, but didn't even know if it was necessary.  You know, like Brucellosis is a concern here, but we vaccinate against it, so it's not a problem unless a producer does not do it.

his Rendezvous sale is coming up and we thought of bidding on some animals but with that question, I figured someone here would know something.