Johnny Football

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

it is just the way she is standing in that pic off of a cell phone. I will attach two more pics of the heifer at the same show.

Attachments

• 25029_3773411588495_1094720650_n.jpg
    25029_3773411588495_1094720650_n.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 559055_3763753507049_1713376880_n.jpg
    559055_3763753507049_1713376880_n.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 180

MSTF

*another example of the piss poor show genetics in the shorthorn breed threatening the viability of the breed.  And people wonder why we speak out against those blood lines...
[/quote]

Maybe if you bred anything respectable people would listen, but it doesn't look like thats going to happen.

DLD

frostback said:
??? Thanks,, now its as clear as mud. Could anyone else tell me what he means?

coon footed = overly long and flexible in the pasterns

It's generally used as a criticism, but with so many short, straight pasterned cattle around these days, I rarely see one I'd criticize for being coon footed any more.

Edit - I should clarify that I rarely see "show cattle" that I would call coon footed.  They still show up at the sale barn occasionally.

RyanChandler

MSTF said:
*another example of the piss poor show genetics in the shorthorn breed threatening the viability of the breed.  And people wonder why we speak out against those blood lines...

Maybe if you bred anything respectable people would listen, but it doesn't look like thats going to happen.
[/quote]
Well I'm using what I feel are some the best genetics in the breed - Jungles, KL, Lovings, YY, JR Ranch, RB- so I guess we'll see. 

RyanChandler

DLD said:
frostback said:

It's generally used as a criticism, but with so many short, straight pasterned cattle around these days, I rarely see one I'd criticize for being coon footed any more.

Edit - I should clarify that I rarely see "show cattle" that I would call coon footed.  They still show up at the sale barn occasionally.

Weak not flexible would better describe it.  They can have weak pasterns and still be extremely straight in the hock.  You're right, I used it as a criticism in response to his blabbering about Shorthorns. He proved me wrong with the latest pic.  She is infact short and straight in the pastern.

showsteerdlux

-XBAR- said:
DLD said:
frostback said:

Weak not flexible would better describe it.  They can have weak pasterns and still be extremely straight in the hock.  You're right, I used it as a criticism in response to his blabbering about Shorthorns. He proved me wrong with the latest pic.  She is infact short and straight in the pastern.

Look at the actual angle of her bone design, not the way it is clipped and fitted up. I wouldn't call that straight at all.

sizzler14

The fitted leg with white touch up in it hadnt been finished yet, if you look at the avaitar pic you can see and even in her dry pic, she has a lot of shape and angle through her front leg. But I think we have got way off topic. Lets get back to Johnny Football. I love his frame size and appreciate his rib shape when compared to Texas Tornado! Love them both though  (clapping)