Joint Supplements?

Help Support Steer Planet:

barngoddess

We've never had any issues with stiffness in our steers joints until this year, 2 of them started to act a little stiff. One we do believe is just a structural issue while the other we have concluded needs walked every day because he's lethargic otherwise and makes himself stiff. We decided to try out Cetyl M for livestock because we have had so much success with the Response products in our dogs and horses. Unfortunately, with shipping costs, it was $100 just to order a 6 pound tub of it and it's almost out because of how much the daily dosage is for two of them. We've noticed a difference (mostly in the lazy steer) but were wondering if there are any other joint supplements out there that will work just as well and for a better price. We still have a few months to go until our county fair and want to keep them on something.

Thanks for your help!!

barngoddess

Bump- just ran out of the cetyl M today....looking to get another tub or trying something new ASAP. Thanks.

Tallcool1

barngoddess said:
Bump- just ran out of the cetyl M today....looking to get another tub or trying something new ASAP. Thanks.

We use Natural Stride. Unfortunately, I think they are all expensive.

Sullivan's carry a full line of products. I would suggest calling them and describing your specific application. They will recommend a less expensive alternative if they believe it will solve your problem.

I know it's tough!  We sometimes start to feel like the acquisition is the cheap part.

Good luck!

showgirl15

I agree that no joint supplement is cheap. I have used Fix a Stride and Lubrisyn and saw great results. They are both very pricey, but you got your money worth out of these products!

barngoddess

Thanks everyone-- we've looked at some others but decided we're just gonna try pure MSM and see how that goes just to save a little $$$  8)

mainecattlemother

We also use a product called fluid flex which is really used for horses. We buy from a store called Fleet Farm. It runs about 21 a bottle and I believe will last one steer about 30 days. We also use MSM. We also walk our steer and heifer morning and night quite a distance and may start walking mid day as well. Hope this helps.