JPJ cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

Someone had asked about JPJ cows and I thought I'd picture mine - she will be a cow come Sept. She's a JPJ x Yahtzee x Maine/Angus. The bigger heifer is a Vegas/Dateline Angus - she is going to be a bit framey but you can tell the difference in their frame sizes

Attachments

• john%26tia.jpg
    john%26tia.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 424
  • john%26tia2.jpg
    john%26tia2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 459
  • p%26j+t%26e.jpg
    p%26j+t%26e.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 450

Cattledog

shortdawg said:
Bigger heifer is also about 3 months older than the JPJ heifer.

They both look darn nice!  The thing that I hate is that we have to get them so darn fat!  I'm guilty as anybody when it comes that.

Bradenh

that jpj is a TANK of a female. i would love to see my steer get that thick. looks very very good shortdawg

shortdawg

Thanks for the comments ! I went safe on the JPJ the first time and bred her to Ironwood New Level (Angus) -sexed bull, and the big Vegas heifer is bred to JPJ - sexed heifer!!! We have a lot more experience with JPJ steers than females so time will tell how ours will do as momma cows. I do expect this heifer to be a steer raising machine !

shortdawg

Forgot to mention that the JPJ heifer's half brother was the 2009 Champion Charolais steer at San Antonio

linnettejane

shortdawg said:
Thanks for the comments ! I went safe on the JPJ the first time and bred her to Ironwood New Level (Angus) -sexed bull, and the big Vegas heifer is bred to JPJ - sexed heifer!!! We have a lot more experience with JPJ steers than females so time will tell how ours will do as momma cows. I do expect this heifer to be a steer raising machine !

where did you get the jpj sexed heifer???? i want some!!!!

shortdawg

I just look East when AI'ing and get heifers every time  ;D ...... Seriously, I just bred the cow with conventional semen and got lucky. I have a friend here locally that puts in embryos for me and he also sexes all the cows that I AI at 60 or so days. Pretty convenient for making decisions on what to put in sales and what to watch closer at calving time. Dustin told me that he could get some sexed semen on JPJ if need be.

Toughie

We have two JPJ heifers that we purchased from Jungels at Agribition in 2009.  The first one has calved with a bull by Alta Cedar Samurai.  He is solid red and built like a tank.  90 lb BW, born mid Feb.  The heifer is a nice size, probably about 1100 lbs in working clothes, with a beautiful udder and reallly milking.  The other heifer won her class at Agribition in 2009, but we are still waiting for her to calve, which will probably be in about a month, yet.  She is a bigger heifer, but really well put together.  She is bred to our bull, Hargrave James Ricky.  Hopefully she will be able to handle it, as he can leave the odd big one.

Bradenh

shortdawg said:
Forgot to mention that the JPJ heifer's half brother was the 2009 Champion Charolais steer at San Antonio
shown by shackelford.  calf had a good half brother for sure

jjhawkeye

I bought  a recip in the Michigan sale that just had a nice bull calf out of Proud Jazz mother X cornerstone,  79 lb birth weight and mostly red.

shortdawg

Show stopper 95 said:
shortdawg said:
shown by shackelford.  calf had a good half brother for sure

That's right - Dustin had the dam of our heifer and the Shackleford steer in his sale last summer, lot 25 I think. Nice smoke cow, think she she brought 5k.

shortyjock89

Our JPJ heifer from Studer's calved yesterday to our bull OFS Magic Jack.  We assisted her because we didn't know exactly how long she'd been in labor and the feet were out of the sac.  Beautiful heifer calf weighing 71 lbs. The cow has a fantastic udder and is doing a great job with the calf.  I will try to take pics of the cow and her udder today when I get to my dad's.

linnettejane

shortdawg said:
I just look East when AI'ing and get heifers every time  ;D ...... Seriously, I just bred the cow with conventional semen and got lucky. I have a friend here locally that puts in embryos for me and he also sexes all the cows that I AI at 60 or so days. Pretty convenient for making decisions on what to put in sales and what to watch closer at calving time. Dustin told me that he could get some sexed semen on JPJ if need be.

i called and left a message on his voicemail...havent heard from him yet...but im def. interested if you're talkin' to him again  ;D

shortdawg

linnettejane said:
shortdawg said:

i called and left a message on his voicemail...havent heard from him yet...but im def. interested if you're talkin' to him again  ;D

Ok

Latest posts