Jr. Nationals in Kansas City

Help Support Steer Planet:

FarmerWanna-Be

This will be my first time attending Jr Nats and my first time showing in Kansas City. Does anyone have any insiders tips I should know?

Brian04

If your not a big shot or big name person you have no shot.....its all politics when it comes to them kinda shows but good luck

chiangus

Brian04 said:
If your not a big shot or big name person you have no shot.....its all politics when it comes to them kinda shows but good luck

A little jaded?  More details?

firesweepranch

Brian04 said:
I'm not sure about other breeds, but this IS NOT THE CASE with Simmentals! There are a total of 7 contest areas, and they take your top 5 scores for overall. So, you might be a "big name" as you say, but that will only help you in the cattle show, not the rest! To show in the heifer show, you have to participate in at least four of the five educational events. You can take the cattle show, but the rest is based on your personal abilities! We are no big name, and my daughter placed 3rd overall in Iowa at our Junior Nationals last year (she placed in the top in most of the 6 events - public speaking, sales talk, livestock judging, skill-a-thon, Cattlemen quiz and showmanship). She has always placed in the top 20 since we went to our first nationals in 2008! And our nationals are HUGE! This year we have over 300 juniors registered and 600 plus head of cattle coming....
So, take your personal experience and bad mouth your own junior nationals, but do NOT put all of the breeds in YOUR category!

Jill

Here is the listing of activities for the Maines and Chis combined, from what I understand we are on the same side of the barn we were on last time we were in KC.  The Chi all around work the same way as Simmis,  this year, to show in the heifer or steer show you are required to compete in at least 3 other contest (which I think is great)! 
Just a note for Brian04 and those of you jaded enough to think you don't have a chance and this is all politics, you probably haven't done the work need and don't have a chance in which case you're right, for the rest of you, it's a show, anything can happen. 
I will give you a word of caution, it is not in the best part of town, make sure you bring plenty of locks and keep everything locked up.
This is a great event, take part in everything you can and make the most of your Jr. National experience, you will never regret being too involved!  Have a great trip everyone, see you in Kansas City.

Sunday, June 26
Noon              Barn stalling posted – earliest admittance into the barns
By 3 p.m.        Arrival of Cattle
1-4 pm            Check in Cattle & Kids
12 p.m.            Queen & Princess Interviews
4:30 p.m.        AJMAA Stockman’s Contest
5 p.m.              AJCA Stockman’s Contest

Monday, June 27
8 a.m.              AJMAA Advisor Meeting
8:30 a.m.        AJCA Exhibitor Meeting
9:30 a.m.        AJCA & AJMAA Salesmanship Contests
12:30 p.m.      Lunch
1 p.m.              Fitting Demonstration
2:30 p.m.        AJCA Team Fitting
2:30 p.m.        AJMAA Speech Contest
6 p.m.              All breeds line up for opening ceremonies
6:30 p.m.        Opening Ceremonies/Meal

Tuesday, June 28
7 a.m.              Breakfast
8 a.m.              AJCA Showmanship
9 a.m.              Maine Anjou She’s A Lady Futurity
10 a.m.            AJMAA Cook Off Contest
Noon              Lunch
12:30 p.m.      AJMAA Team Fitting
4 p.m.              AJCA & AJMAA Livestock Judging Contest
7 p.m.              Adult Showmanship Contest

Wednesday, June 29
8 a.m.              AJMAA Showmanship
9:30 a.m.        AJCA Quiz Bowl
Noon              Lunch
1 p.m.              AJCA Speech Contest
5 p.m.              AJCA Exhibitor Meeting/Board Elections
6 p.m.              AJMAA Annual Meeting
6:30 p.m.        Chi Dinner & Social – ACA Headquarters, Platte City, MO

Thursday, June 30
7:30 a.m.        AJMAA Steer/Bull/MaineTainer Show
8 a.m.              AJCA Shows (Steers/Chi Heifers/Bulls/Chiangus Heifers)
7 p.m.              AJCA/AJMAA Awards Banquet
Chi Cattle released after banquet

Friday, July 1
8 a.m.              AJMAA High Percentage Show

FarmerWanna-Be

Thank you for all the input. I know I wont do too good. Its my first time and I am just going for the experience and to have fun! See you all in a week!

wyatt

it is fun i recommend fans for you and the cattle last time it was hot hot dont spend all your time in the barns see everything watch the pros fit and have fun this is our second year good luck

FarmerWanna-Be

Also, just wondering if anyone knows about the flood situation. I know kansas city is under a flood warning but I dont know how bad it really is. I will be coming from Michigan. Will I have any problems?

Jill

I'll let you know later on today, there are several area close to flooding, but haven't really heard of any that area in that direct area.  The weather this morning shows highs in the 70's for next week so that will be a welcome change for sure.

CAB

Thanks for posting the schedule Jill. I hope that maybe I can slip down, but we'll see how that works out.

kanshow

I agree that you can have success at a junior national no matter who you are.  Success is not always defined by a big win in the show ring either - it could be a placement in one of the contest catagories or maybe all the new friends and contacts you make or a new technique you learn....  My juniors will tell you that the Jr Nat'l is one of the most fun and educational shows they have attended.    We plan to attend again this year - wish ours where one of those in KC.     

We are planning on going over for a day to watch too.   

SWMO

Any Jr Nationals is what you make of it.  It is not just a livestock show it is also a place for our young adults to showcase their talents in a variety of areas such as photography, art, poster design, cooking, speech, fitting etc. 

Go in with an open mind realizing that there can only be one Grand Champion, do the best you can and make new friends and enjoy the experience.

firesweepranch

SWMO said:
Any Jr Nationals is what you make of it.  It is not just a livestock show it is also a place for our young adults to showcase their talents in a variety of areas such as photography, art, poster design, cooking, speech, fitting etc. 

Go in with an open mind realizing that there can only be one Grand Champion, do the best you can and make new friends and enjoy the experience.

Well said. Well said!!! You get out of it what you put in it  :)

KCK

Last time the combined junior national was in Kansas City, some folks lost luggage out of the back of their trucks. That being said, just use your head and keep an eye on stuff. Take a cooler and use it. There isn't too much food close to the grounds, more than their used to be, but a cooler with lunch meat and that will help you from getting burnt out on Wendy's:) Extra fan and generator for tie outs might be good, unless you are lucky enough to get that good 70 degree weather. If it is that cool, I am taking a few vacation days to escape the Oklahoma heat.

They will provide bedding, but don't forget to take stuff to make the cattle comfortable in tie outs. Enter in as many contests as you can! Those are the places where some lifelong friends are made! If you don't want to do showmanship, make sure you watch the older kids. There will be some great ones to learn from.

Take time to eat a good steak dinner at one of the many places they have available in town! Kansas City is a great place, so use it for a vacation too. And, enjoy, work your hardest and meet as many people as you can:) GOOD LUCK!

wyatt

i just figured out who farmer wanna be is haha he is going with us this year and we always lose combs when we go we take a cooler idk why but last year we didnt take a fan haha that sucked and we sighn up for the state display poster photo contest and other stuff

Jill

As of tonight, parts of I-29 are shut down due to flooding, so check with highway departments before heading out.  Weather reports for the area are rain for the next 4-5 days and it is supposed to be in the upper 80's and lower 90's for the next 7 days so warming back up.

Brian04

Chiangus sry bout that i meant in the hereford breed...its plain and simple....if you were to look in the Hereford World which is National magazine its basically the same ppl that win year after year.....look at Denver shows and all the major shows...its all bout name, if you dont have the right person on the halter you are a nobody not sure how it is anyother breed but thats how herefords are