JSF Capiche !!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

zak said:
In Capiche add it seems to me that they were bragging about his mothers udder. It doesnt look very big to me. This is what and udder looks like on my farm.Meyer 734 X 319 angus

I don't want to be too critical of someone elses cattle, but I'm going to have to agree with a couple of others. I'm going to venture to geuss that when she gets ready to calve that those front two quarters get to be pretty decent size & if she is under 8 y.o., I'm going to say that by the time she gets to be 10 it will be tough for a newborn to get ahold of them.
As far as Capiches' dam goes I think that it is a pretty good looking udder for a 2 y.o.  JMO

Doc

Well , I went down to Select Sires & picked up some semen on him today. I geuss I'm going to give him a try on some hfrs.

aj

I saw him at the adams county fairground and again at the actual stockshow in denver. I loved him. He had an older style of look to him. It seems like to me there are hundreds of class winners of shorthorn bulls for sale. They all have 110# bwt's listed as 90# or whatever. We as a breed need to tap into some new genetics besides the the ole trumps,rodeo drives, etc.. We need to get rid of the tonner cows in my opinion. We need to have some new unique breeding programs instead of me to, I want to raise the great one, showring cattle lines. jmo

TJ

aj said:
I saw him at the adams county fairground and again at the actual stockshow in denver. I loved him. He had an older style of look to him. It seems like to me there are hundreds of class winners of shorthorn bulls for sale. They all have 110# bwt's listed as 90# or whatever. We as a breed need to tap into some new genetics besides the the ole trumps,rodeo drives, etc.. We need to get rid of the tonner cows in my opinion. We need to have some new unique breeding programs instead of me to, I want to raise the great one, showring cattle lines. jmo

(thumbsup)

simtal

zak said:
In Capiche add it seems to me that they were bragging about his mothers udder. It doesnt look very big to me. This is what and udder looks like on my farm.Meyer 734 X 319 angus

If it were me, I wouldn't put that picture on there.  That looks like a small udder with long teats. 

garybob

aj said:
I tried doing just that, and got ignored by the ASA staff & fellow breeders, as well as being doinked by my local sale barn.

GB

DRB

Jacob B said:
I think that they are trying to tell you that his mother has a nice youthful looking udder.  Size does matter to me, nice and tight.  Good teet placement, and small teets.  I may be incorrect on this one, but I have always been told that a cow with a small udder can feed a claf just as well as a cow with a great big udder if there is always milk in the udder.  The great big udder tends to break down quicker during the cows lifetime.  That's just what I have heard.  What's everyone elses opinions?

Where did you find the picture of his mother's udder?

Thanks!

aj

There is some thought out there that it is the quality of milk that brings in the big calves at weaning not volume. I think Buffalo for insytance give very little volume but really rich milk. Some people think this is the same with say a high milk epd line of cattle. Not much research done on it though.

TJ

aj said:
There is some thought out there that it is the quality of milk that brings in the big calves at weaning not volume. I think Buffalo for insytance give very little volume but really rich milk. Some people think this is the same with say a high milk epd line of cattle. Not much research done on it though.

I have no proof, but I believe that.  Tarentaise have a high % of butterfat (a little lower than a Jersey) & they wean some really big calves.  In fact, I've seen them wean significantly heavier calves than similar sized or bigger Red Angus cows (bred to the same bull) in multiple herds in this area.  They do give a little more milk, but I think it's also about the richer milk. 

aj

I think you are on to something TJ. I think the milk production area is an interesting in beef production. I have always wondered if hard milking cows were harder keeping than moderate milking cows....and what about their there rebreeding ability. However if a cow milks quality and not quantity....does she really put that much more energy loose. A milking cow uses alot more water than a non milking cow....what about energy. I have a neighbor who runs 400 buffalo. he claims a Buffalo cow milks very little volume but high butterfat or whatever. If they have orphan they use lamb replacer milk to bottle feed them. If you look at the history of American bison they have survived with out protein tubs and mineral and embryo transfer. Maybe high quality milk in a low volume package makes sense in a natural selection nutrition scenario. You have Bison bson, Bison occidentalis, and Bison Antiquitous(scuse my spelling). They survived the last 20,000 years without mankind screwing them up. Thats 20,000 years not 20,000 $ for my Canadian friends. I often wondered about the Texas Longhorn. They survived 400 years in Mexico and Texas without man kinds interaction. What is their butterfat concentration? Could it be at a optimum level proven by natural selection? I think interesting topic anyway.

RyanChandler

Natural selection doesn't create optimum levels, it creates minimums. "The least they can GET BY on.  Just look at the phenotypes of native cattle. They don't exhibit a very high yielding % phenotype.

Okotoks

A commercial Capiche daughter at Slovek Ranch, Philip, SD

Attachments

• Capiche commecial cow.jpg
    Capiche commecial cow.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 186

Mainevent

I raised, andshowed a daughter this past year and sold her as a yearling to a steer breeder. Super calf, and kept growing fairly well. Little shorter fronted but not too bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 188

Duncraggan

I can't fault that cow!  Hope she produces better calves than the angus cows in the background and the commercial breeder sees the light.  Her body condition certainly seems to be better!

kiblercattle

Wow she's really nice. I wasn't a fan of capiche he always looked to small for me but she's a very useful looking cow. Anyone have any other progeny pics?

Okotoks

kiblercattle said:
Wow she's really nice. I wasn't a fan of capiche he always looked to small for me but she's a very useful looking cow. Anyone have any other progeny pics?
Here is Hill Haven heifer by Capiche.

Attachments

• Hill Haven Kelinda.jpg
    Hill Haven Kelinda.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 134

aj

I was only worried about the defect rumours.......as near as I have heard the one line did NOT have a genetic defect and the deal was put to rest.

kiblercattle

Good it had been a long day and I hadn't seen where anyone on this thread had commented on that. I thought I might be seeing things.