JSF Gauge

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

With Kieth Lauer breeding on the bottom-and SBR on top: (home of 20 20 vision and Storm Chaser) THIS BULL NEEDS TO BE BRED TO CLUBBY-THC type cattle-We did the same thing years ago at Deertrail-with Double Stuff-Steermaker-UB Junior Walker-and Double Down-on KL Marigold=Kl Belker Mina(same cow family as this bull)-and 4 or 5 other KL cows-Thats what this bull needs-he probably is deep-with NO Butt-try him and SEE. O0

katie_k

We started using him and we kept the steer for me to show. Hes big butted deep and thick. Fey impressed were keeping another from this year as a bull.  Like this bull

RyanChandler

I'm using a SBR Tsunami son, JSF Red Rebel 4164790 also bred by KL on some heifers- Captain Obvious granddaughters right now.  This bull may be thicker but mine is much cleaner made.  They are both commercially oriented bulls.

Duncraggan

I have 30 doses due for delivery in July and the South African Shorthorn society says 'Calving difficulty!'  I hope I am not wrong as the CE and BW EPD's look good.  What significance is the MCE EPD?  Must I wait until 2016 t0 find out?  I note that the accuracies are not that great and we only brred to cavle at 36 months due to extensive conditions.  Should I be worried?  We normally only assist less than 5% of our cows to calve, never had a C/section before.  Our labour is incentivised to wean live calves!

Lucky_P

Fairly new to the Shorthorn deal, and know virtually nothing about the 'club calf' deal - nor do I care about it.  I'm a commercial beef producer, breeding for replacement females, with the desire for their steer counterparts to be quality stocker/feeder animals. 
Have commented on the abysmal MCE of JSF Gauge before - there's no way in lleh that I'd use him and plan to keep any daughters.  Beyond that his WW/YS epds don't show much in the way of 'grow'.

kfacres

Lucky_P said:
Fairly new to the Shorthorn deal, and know virtually nothing about the 'club calf' deal - nor do I care about it.  I'm a commercial beef producer, breeding for replacement females, with the desire for their steer counterparts to be quality stocker/feeder animals. 
Have commented on the abysmal MCE of JSF Gauge before - there's no way in lleh that I'd use him and plan to keep any daughters.  Beyond that his WW/YS epds don't show much in the way of 'grow'.

me personally, I wouldn't do anyting but wad up the shorthorn EPDS that I read-- in one ear, out the other...

garybob

Duncraggan said:
I have 30 doses due for delivery in July and the Soth African Shorthorn society says 'Calving difficulty!'  I hope I am not wrong as the CE and BW EPD's look good.  What significance is the MCE EPD?  Must I wait until 2016 t0 find out?  I note that the accuracies are not that great and we only brred to cavle at 36 months due to extensive conditions.  Should I be worried?  We normally only assist less than 5% of our cows to calve, never had a C/section before.  Our labour is incentivised to wean live calves!
Are you located in South Africa? Please, share some photos of your cattle.

GB

Duncraggan

Yes, been breeding Shorthorns for about 10 years.  Never showed them before, more commercial-type operation.  Have a second bull sale coming up in September 2012, 2011's was a success.  Previously sent bulls to our National Sale but decided on an on-property as transport a major nuisance.

Am new to Steer Planet so will try and see how to send pictures. Have a few on my other PC, nothing fancy, you may find them interesting.  Current sale bulls only just gone onto feed, they look a bit lean at the moment.

shortyjock89

Looks like he ran in to a brick wall too. Upright in his shoulder, and short fronted. 

Duncraggan

GB
[/quote]I hope the following pictures of my Sept 2012 sale bulls comes through GB!  First ever attempt!

The scrawny light roan is only a yearling, he happens to be in the same group, not ready for sale.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 402

kfacres

Duncraggan said:

GB
I hope the following pictures of my Sept 2012 sale bulls comes through GB!  First ever attempt!

The scrawny light roan is only a yearling, he happens to be in the same group, not ready for sale.
[/quote]

what genetics-- or have you-- used prior from over here?

garybob

The red bull is the "GaryBob Type"...what type of cactus is that in the background? Are those bulls grazing Bermuda Grass?
<beer>
GB

J

JTM

I have heard from Byland Shorthorns that Gauge is doing well for them. I have also heard that he should not be considered low birthweight or calving ease. I wouldn't use him mainly because I believe I have a better option, but my bull wasn't chosen by Select Sires so what do I know.  ;D

cattlefarmer

The one heifer I have that was bred to Gauge calved with no troubles.  I know it was only one but from my experience I wouldn't be afraid to breed him to heifers, most any heifer could have had that calf and that seems to be more experience than most people have with him on here.  Some people say Capiche isn't calving ease also.  I am pretty sure that there is a group of shorthorn influenced heifers getting bred this summer to Gauge so some people must not be to worried about his birthweight.