KDJ Aberdeen Angus Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

He was displayed in Denver as a 2 year old. IMO, he looked awesome. IMO, he's not even close to too straight structured. He will be used heavily and yes does have good #s. Brent

kane1598

I think there is a big differnece between big framed cattle and soggy made cattle.  They can be big and soggy or small and soggy and everything in between. Does this bull have enough guts to him?  What are the calves looking like?

bluffcountrycattle

CAB...is there a picture of him as a 2 year old in Denver somewhere?  Wasn't there a website with all the denver photos and videos?  Not sure if he was listed though...

CAB

Aberdeen wasn't in the "display"area per say. Jorgensen's had a pen rented down across from the building that they show the pen cattle in and had a big sign up above the fence so that you could easily see it from the isle. Give Kalvin a call, he'll send you a pic if he can I'm sure. Brent

Torch

I haven't seen the K D J Aberdeen bull but I have seen and felt Sankey's Laser bull which has a very similar pedigree. The real deal. 2008 ROV bull champ. The Lutton sons do transmit a lot of style and I will use Laser this spring. Plus Laser is a little cheaper.

Check him out.
http://www.bovine-elite.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=380

CAB

Aberdeen look a lot like the Laser bull, but I think that he is deeper ribbed and carries his flank down deeper. If you call Jorgensen's, they may be able to sell it to you personally a little cheaper, but I don't know that for sure. Worth asking. Brent

Torch

It would be interesting to see them side by side. Getting that deeper flank on a Lutton has been a weakness. Both of these bulls have improved in that area.

CAB

Funny that you mention that it would be fun to see them side by side. They are penned side by side right now @ Hawkeye's SW facility @ Kevin Jensen's @ Cortland, Kansas, good chance for anyone that is in the area to go look and compare.

MYT Farms

Here's what knabe meant. Kinda humorous!  :D

Attachments

• index.php.png
    index.php.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 409
  • index-1.php.jpeg
    index-1.php.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 350

CHW

There should be very little or no comparison at all between Aberdeen and laser. Laser is ten times the bull Aberdeen will ever be. The only real similarity between the two is that they are both Lutton sons, THATS IT!!! If you haven't seen Aberdeen before, you need to... because you will be highly disappointed when you see him in real life because he looks nothing like the picture of him in the catalogs. If you wanted to use a lutton son, I would highly reccomend using Laser any day before Aberdeen.

Cattledog

Everyone always gets excited about Lutton and his sons and I must admit that I am guilty of both as well.  However, I have never seen a bred heifer or cow out of Lutton that I have been real impressed with. I think they make cool looking calves but after that I think their qualities diminish greatly.  I will probably get slammed for saying that but that is just what I have noticed.

CAB

I haven't seen the Laser bull in person, but please someone from the Planet, close to Cortland,Ks. go and compare the 2 bulls. We need an unbias opinion. I think that the 2 bulls look very similar, but stand with my statement that Aberdeen is deeper ribbed & flanked. Admittedly both bulls popularity has increased since Lutton & Lute's passing, although in my opinion Lute was mostly hype. I think both bulls resemble NI quite a bit. JMO. Brent

bluffcountrycattle

Not to make the situation any more confusing, but another Lutton son that came to mind was EXAR Phenomena.  Anyone have any experience with him?  I was told he would moderate the Lutton frame a little, while adding some more rib and muscle.  I think he is living in NE as well...  ;)

Cattledog

I would just stick with good old Northern Improvement!  If it isn't broke don't fix it!

Torch

Here, here on Northern Improvement. He has sired quite a few sons who are now AI sires. Where as Lutton has not. Nor has Lutton's sons. And there has been many attempts. A great bull sires his replacement.

Maybe I will just go back and use him.

Cattledog

Torch said:
Here, here on Northern Improvement. He has sired quite a few sons who are now AI sires. Where as Lutton has not. Nor has Lutton's sons. And there has been many attempts. A great bull sires his replacement.

Maybe I will just go back and use him.

I totally agree.  On top of siring some popular sons his females are really good producers!  I have a couple of Northern Improvement daughters and also some grandaughters and they do such a nice job as cows.  They also are the front pasture kind of cows that you love to brag about!  ;D ;D

bluffcountrycattle

While I am sure the Northern Improvement cows are good females, I think I'm looking for a son with a little more substance and muscle.  The better growth epd's are also a plus I think.  Although I haven't seen a lot of Improvement daughters, the ones I have seen seem to be a little flatter made, harder doing, with less muscle...but do profile a killer look.  The Lutton's I've seen can be the same way...kind of hit and miss.  That's why I thought a Lutton son on the right power cow could get me an AI sire worth sampling.  Anyone have any other suggestions with a similar pedigree?

shortyjock89

Not an Angus guy at all, but I've seen some good calves out of Lut, he breeds a little bit like his dad, maybe a little more muscle...but I haven't seen a TON of calves, and the ones I did see were out of pretty decent cows.

ploughshare

CAB said:
Admittedly both bulls popularity has increased since Lutton & Lute's passing, although in my opinion Lute was mostly hype.

Did Plainview Lutton E102 "Lut" kick the bucket??  I heard that when he was last at NCG that he was in bad shape.  I also noticed his semen jumped to $50 almost overnight.

CAB

Kicked it. I personally have never seen a good enough Lute calf to make me want to use him. I did go look @ the EXAR Phenomena bull @ Express's web-site. He's good, but I would still use Aberdeen B4 him and also have NI in the tank. JMO. Brent