keeping the hair!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowgirlup11

my black angus steer has really good hair right now, he is loosing his winter hair but i think its more then just the winter hair, he is shedding ALOT more then winter would. and in some places like his bum and between his back legs i can ctually pull like chuks out! i dont want a balled steer come show time! what should i do? he is wormed and ivromeced so it should not be lice or worms. .....any other ideas?
its bin cold here so he has not bin rinsed EVERYDAY, just the warm ones and he is brushed daily.

thanks for any help!

andholl

I can only say that if its not lice and this is important enough to you then you had better try your best to keep him clean, brushed, and cool as much as possible. Unless he has some kind of fungus... just thinking.

bulldawg

Did you use Pour On Wormer? I was told to keep away from the pour on wormers due to it causing their body temperature to rise. Not sure, but pretty reliable Cattleman and Showmen that told me to use the pelletized or paste type wormers. We live in TX, so keeping Hair is tough as it is. We also use Sure Champ with Vitaferm, it is supposed to help lower the animals core body temp. Also, the darker your stall area, the better, supposedly it tricks the calfs body to thinking it is time to grow hair. Don't know for sure, but couldn't hurt to try. Good Luck. Our Angus calf we raised was as slick as a summer pasture calf, and never did grow hair.