Kemo Sabe

Help Support Steer Planet:

Silver

Show stopper 95 said:
Silver said:
He sire a calf that went for 75,000 on lautner's high seller list
from what ive heard. that wasnt a calf out of him. i heard lautner sold the bull himself and brought 75K. i dont think it was a calf

Well thats weird, they should have specified between selling a calf and the actual bull itself.

jsscattle

That $75000 calf was a bull calf sold out of Kemo Sabe, I know two people that have seen the calf sold and said he was GREATTT!  My story and stick'n to it.  Will hear more about him once they know he is producing good semen the way i understood.

jsscattle

By the way, I believe there is a photo in Lautners catalog.  I looked it up after I heard about the calf that was sold.

OH Breeder

I think this bull has been around a couple of breeding seasons. I thought if my memory was correct he was in the past catalog. I thought the was a clone of some steer.

firesweepranch

Kemo Sabe is in page 35 of Lautner2010 catalog, and in the summary in bold it states "Kevin Newman sold a Kemo Sabe calf for $75,000 this spring"

just FYI

chambero

I'm pretty sure Brandon Horn is who bought the Kemo Sabe bull calf.  Call him and ask him about him if you want to know more.

kfacres

Show stopper 95 said:
firesweepranch said:
Kemo Sabe is in page 35 of Lautner2010 catalog, and in the summary in bold it states "Kevin Newman sold a Kemo Sabe calf for $75,000 this spring"

just FYI
doesnt mean its true because it was in lautners catalog. i mean honestly here. simple ecomomics. why on earth spend 75K on a bull calf. when (if you want to use him) you can just wait and buy semen on him for 25 bucks a straw and get whatever kind of calf you want. plus you can see from others success with the bull before you buy. that just isnt logical for me to fathom. that also has to mean not just one guy was willing to go over 70. but two because somebody ran this guy up? correct me if i am wrong but a little questionable

well i guess it only takes 2 idiots to tango

hntwhitetail

chambero said:
I'm pretty sure Brandon Horn is who bought the Kemo Sabe bull calf.  Call him and ask him about him if you want to know more.

Isn't Brandon Horn who owned Solid Gold?  Now Lautners are selling semen on Solid Gold... maybe there was a trade.............

NSF

Let us do a little math real quick.

1000 units x $20/unit = $20,000

some of the most popular bulls that display in denver usually sell around 3,000-3,500 units with some selling even more. so before they even freeze they can generate roughly 60-70k in revenue in the first year. So even if you spend 10-15k promoting the bull hard you are still sitting at roughly $45,000-60,000 in return the first year. Now if you are Brandon Horn and you have the set of cows that i have heard he has you are primed to give this young bull a great opening calf crop which would in turn further increase demand. So if he has good calves the first year, even if he simply sustains his past semen sales that is roughly $45,000-60,000 more in revenue which would then put you in the black with the remaining years to come.

So if you have the cash to do it and the name to push the bull, even though $75,000 is a lot of money it is not a terrible investment if the phenotype and genetics are there.

Not to mention that there would be a good chance that if the bull still looked great coming into Denver, he could easily recoup a large portion of his initial investment by selling off some percentage of ownership at profit.

Now i am not saying this is typical of the denver bulls but saying that it is definitely possible. Even if it took a guy 3-5 years to recoup your initial investment on the next potential great one wouldn't you do it if you have the means? How much do you think they made/are making on Heatwave and Monopoly?

jsscattle

Two people I know have seen this bull that is out of Kemo Sabe, sounds like one that could work to produce hairy cattle and slick.  I haven't seen him but I trust what information they had to offer.  I am sure that Mr. Horn has a plan, one being that if the semen that has been collected so far is quality enough to flush with we will see cattle out of him late summer or fall.  I have seen his cows and believe he has the opportunity to produce a few more major show champions.  That being said, I am sure he knows the risk, but if it works he could have the next premeir show steer bull and we are only talking about it.  About the two idiots that it takes to reach $75000, that is an opinion.  I'm not even sure that there was ever two involved, I think Horn wanted the calf and had been trying to purchase him for some time and that is what it took in order to make the purchase.  Maybe none of us know the real story and never will but the fact is he has the bull that we are talking about and we have a handfull of BS.  Good luck with your bull Brandon.

myerscattle

i heard the bull calf out of kemo sabe is dead??  is that true..?  didn't solid gold die young too?  would have liked to have seen that bull calf.  anyone know if there is a photo or semen?  just wondering...

chambero

Call Brandon Horn and ask him.

Bulls die, regardless of price or popularity.

Newman's champion steer in SA came from Horn.  I think Horn's champion Heteford in FW came from Newman.  Whole lot of swappin going on.