Kinda politacal

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

chambero said:
Telos - i'm not accusing you of it at all, but the anti president and congress stuff on Facebook and elsewhere just makes me sick.  Most of it shows how intentionally stupid people can be.  I didnt like it when people did it to Bush and I dont like it now.  We collectively destroyed the Dixie Chicks over their comments, yet its ok for us to do it to Obama.  It made us mad when people criticized Bush for taking on Iraq, yet conservatives give Obama heck on use of drones.  Hypocracy drives me crazy!

The same people that gripe about not making enough money in this economy and companies making too much are some of the same ones that just torch Obama.

Our Govt spends too much money - but they spend it on us!  Every single one of us./// Well put-It I got  rambling and long winded-but this is one of my pet peeves-in straight forward terms. (clapping)

comercialfarmer

Observe the line at McDonalds vs almost any other fast food restaurant, especially in the morning.    The dollar menu is king.  It isn't because people like the taste of cardboard, it is because they need to save. 

Yes, restaurants have not completely dried up, but we're talking $20 to $50 generally and American's are not savers.  But ask those same people to spend $500 to $4000.00 and they don't have it.  The ones that did 4 years ago, don't now.  It isn't there.  I can promise you this, I see it in action every day.  That is the discretionary spending I'm talking about. 

I don't care where you stand in the food chain, the value of your dollar has tumbled sharply.

I'm not praising Bush, he was wrong with starting the bail out business.  Obama put it on steroids.  Both are wrong. 

Whoever stated that it should be up to people to pull them selves up by their own boot straps, absolutely.  We need that attitude of a generation of old.  But we don't need an extra burden of having to pay for trillions of dollars out of our pockets along the way. 

If you don't understand Trillions, lets put it in perspective: 

How much a trillion is in time:

If you count backward, then:
1 million seconds = 12 days ago
1 billion seconds = 31 years ago
1 trillion seconds = 30,000 B.C.

Let’s Measure a Trillion in Money

With about 305,000,000 people and 111,000,000 households in the U.S.

$1 Million is 1¢ per household,
$1 Billion is $3.28 per person and $9 per household,
$1 Trillion is $3,280 per person and $9,000 per household

If a person’s salary is $40,000 per year it would take:

25 years to earn $1 Million
25 Thousand years to earn $1 Billion,
25 Million years to earn $1 Trillion

If you lived to be 80 years of age, to have:

$1 Million you would have to save $34 each day of your life,
$1 Billion you would have to save $34,000 each day of your life,
$1 Trillion you would have to save $34 Million each day of your life

knabe

-XBAR- said:
As usual, you spit data instead of information and I have no idea what youre rambling about.  Your assumptions are that those that vote blue must be the recipient of some entitlement program and thats just not true.  Its a blatant lie. 

your straw man arguments only need a match to fall apart.

KSanburg

What I don't understand is where Olson came up with anything from the petition that was the original topic of this thread and gets out of it that anyone was being extremist or XBAR thinking it had anything to do with the present economy.

Here is what the petition says;

Target: United States government
Sponsored by: Randy Lewis
WE WANT AMERICA TO RETURN TO GREATNESS...  WE SHOULD NEVER BE DISARMED AND LEFT VULNERABLE

WE THE PEOPLE WANT OUR COUNTRY BACK AND TO NOT BE REGULATED AND DIRECTED BY WHAT A HANDFULL OF POLITICIANS DECIDE WHAT IS BEST.... WE KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR US

WE WANT THE FREEDOM TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM TYRANNY FROM INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OUR BORDERS  WE DO NOT NEED TO BE TOLD WE ARE NOT CAPABLE TO DECIDE WHAT IS IN OUR BEST INTEREST

We the people of America want to see our Country go back to a time when the american public governed ourselves and the politicions worked for us,

Bring God back to our schools and to our lives and let america be great again

Politicians and Government should protect the interests of Americans and work to take care of its citizens and our brave Veterans who have spilled blood to continue to make America great..

GOD AND THE ENLISTED MEN AND WOMEN AND OUR  VETERANS ARE THE BACKBONE OF WHAT MAKES THIS COUNTRY GREAT PROTECT THEM AT ALL COSTS..

AMEN GOD BLESS YOU ALL 
[/

I see nothing that is offensive about this petition, we all know that parts of it we will never see happen, but what is wrong with wanting these things? Nothing is specific to the president or anyone else for that matter. It may be poorly written but that is about the most offensive thing about it.

RyanChandler

'WE THE PEOPLE WANT OUR COUNTRY BACK `  Back from what ?

' We the people of America want to see our Country go back to a time when the american public governed ourselves'  Again, when was this? I personally dont want to go back to anytime.

Theres no place for religion in public schools.

KSanburg

-XBAR- said:
'WE THE PEOPLE WANT OUR COUNTRY BACK `  Back from what ?

' We the people of America want to see our Country go back to a time when the american public governed ourselves'  Again, when was this? I personally dont want to go back to anytime.

Theres no place for religion in public schools.

Obviously I cannot answer for the author of the petition, but I sure don't like having the crap that is coming out of our government (local, state or national) shoved down my throat, from healthcare to gun control. Politicians think they know what is best for this country and while there are some issues that they have a vast knowledge about they do not listen to their constituents. It's not just one political party either is is all of them. While you believe that there is no place for religion in our schools that's fine but there are lots of people that have no problem with it, it doesn't make you a bigot or racist and the Muslim religion has no problem forcing there ideology into the the public school curriculum. I agree that if you want your child to have religion in their school there are plenty of private schools for you to choose from and it does not need to be in our public school system.

I don't think you have to worry about going back in time very soon.

chambero

I dont like it that we cant pray before ballgames or have Christmas parties/pageants at school, but I never had more than that my whole life - including my school years in the 70s and 80s.  I guess I really dont know what everyone is griping about.  We never prayed in school - and I dont think we should.  The biggest blow up we ever had at a schoolboard meeting was one of my Catholic buddies yanked our Church of Christ ag teachers chain and got him to go off in class about how only 100,000 + (whatever that number in the bible is) would go to heaven and none of us "damned papists" would sure be in it.  Needless to say all hell broke loose and the man barely kept his job.  We still giggle about how worked up he got.

That's why we dont need it and dont have it - Christians cant get along with one another good enough to make it work.  Pretending otherwise is revisionist history.  Never mind teachers dont gave time to teach what they need to.

We are also as a society way more engaged and have more influence in politics than ever before.  And that is the problem folks.  We just dont like it because "we" are outnumbered.  It was easier for politicians to do the right thing when every decision wasnt brought under a microscope.  Frankly "transparency" can be a big crock.  I'd argue we are much closer to mob rule than we are to a dictatorship as do many like to claim.

mark tenenbaum

I disagree slightly-with: all the many times covered topics and bruhas:about; lack of freedoms,robbing everyone of thier rights yatta yatta-The scrutiny aforementioned,becomes perpetuated by the vast forms of media,and the over the top;jumbling  mascinations every time someone of any importance gets caught doing anything wrong.Thus the mob cannot GET AWAY with any kind of lengthy rule-and this creates the freedom for the other side or opponents to also eshew triumph where the actual results of thier so-called efforts will be failure-and back and forth.We are less controlled by anything other than tattle tale capriciousness than at any time I can remember -more speed in the disemination of information=quicker turnarounds =less chance of getting over= resulting in more freedom-and more intances to document: resulting in what I construe as concentric bickering -over FAR fewer real issues;becuase so much more can no longer be behind closed doors O0

knabe

no society is immune to anarchy and the machinations afterward.

history proves that over and over.

mark tenenbaum

knabe said:
no society is immune to anarchy and the machinations afterward.

history proves that over and over.
/// Exactly my point-I guess Im alluding to 50-60 years ago when people dissappeared,people were hanged for no apparant reason ,Japanese and Italian citizens were hoarded into camps,wierd science was practiced on illiterate crop workers,yatta yatta-I come from an area where there are still remnents of the KKK. The CIA and other shadow entities still do very clandestine things that violate human rights-WHO DONT KNOW THAT? It just doesnt happen on a street corner without escaping the media anymore-and yes-if a victim had a gun they might have wacked the bad guy-that happens more and more-and dont tell me every victim gets prosected for defending themselves by our "new fascist govt". Ill allways remember traveling around Europe and ending up in Fascist Spain when Franco was in power and seeing the boys in uniform all over the streets with machine guns and hearing about the murders of friends-relatives from young people my age. Went the other side of the Berlin Wall a couple times too-I think you need to really feel totalitarionism in person-just the energy around that type of life-then lets hear about your upcoming revolutionary struggle-bathed in the blood of your underpriveledged tortured life-wrought upon you by the American Fascists LOL O0

RyanChandler

Thats a Jehova' s witness philosophy, chambero. Not one of the church of christ. He was referencing the 12 tribes of Isreal. The 144,000 comes frombork Revelations 7.

chambero

Xbar my memory is correct in this particular case- whether thats a common tenant of Church of Christ I couldnt tell you, but our ag teacher sure did.  I'm fairly familiar with Jehova's Witness related differences - we have family chaos with a couple of cousins that married into it and grandparents having fits when grandkids couldnt come to Christmas/ Easter gatherings.

RyanChandler

' The “Jehovah’s Witnesses” have almost no concept of the distinction between the literal and the figurative language in the Bible.'  How arrogant.  As if the creator came down and wispered in the author's ear what was literal and what was figurative.  I think the question of whats figurative vs  whats literal is the root of all religious debate.

jsuhr

The sad part about today's government, is that if you are successful, you are the criminal, and if you aren't extremely successful you are a victim and  forced to be "taken under the wing" of the dwindling government. One cannot win anymore.  :-\

RyanChandler

Sadder part is , most making a meager hundred grand side and vote as if they were pulling in several mil.  You realize roughly 3 million people in this country are sitting on over 60% of the nations wealth.  Offshore investments put a damper on the trickle down theory.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
Sadder part is , most making a meager hundred grand side and vote as if they were pulling in several mil.   You realize roughly 3 million people in this country are sitting on over 60% of the nations wealth.  Offshore investments put a damper on the trickle down theory.

And the rest side and vote themselves that money or more debt.

Can't keep track if you are being figurative, literal or just arrogant.

ZNT

-XBAR- said:
Sadder part is , most making a meager hundred grand side and vote as if they were pulling in several mil.   You realize roughly 3 million people in this country are sitting on over 60% of the nations wealth.  Offshore investments put a damper on the trickle down theory.

I am 100% in agreement with Chambero on his comments about the criticisms of America and our government.  What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.  If it is Un-American to criticize "W", then you can not criticize Obama. 

In addition, just an observation.  It seems so many people believe that they are SO bad off, yet they think so much of the new legislation is focused at them and taking their wealth through taxes.  I think it has been pretty clear that tax increases by the administration are focused on the top 1% of Americans, yet so many think they are coming after them, as if they are really 1%'ers. (And payroll tax increases do not count as a tax increase because we all knew that was a temporary thing, or should have if you were actually paying attention).  I am sure many of you have seen this video on Youtube, but I think it really does put in perspective who the REAL 1%'ers are.  I know I am not one, and I know that I am in no risk of accidentally crossing over into one. 

Wealth Inequality in America