king meyer

Help Support Steer Planet:

crushertown

King Meyers pedigree looks really nice for paternal and maternal.  I would like some opinions from people who have used him.

vet tech

Use him to make club calf producing females but make sure the cow has some guts.

fourquarters

crushertown said:
King Meyers pedigree looks really nice for paternal and maternal.  I would like some opinions from people who have used him.

We had a chance to see him in person last week at a farm near our place.  Beautiful animal.  Does anyone know if he would be suitable for  heifers?  We are just now buying a few heifers, have 2 Angus and 2 Hereford.  I don't know a thing about cattle other than to be careful about birth weights especially on heifers, plan on breeding ours at around 15-16 months. 

crushertown

I've looked at a lot of Meyer sons and they all seem to have a low ce number with a relatively moderate to high be number.  Just my findings though.

Woody

Just as SCC said, use him on a cow with some GUTS!  He is an absolute no on heifers!!! I used him on some of our better cows and in my opinion he is just another 734 son. He never improved the cow at all. I have got along way better with Mamas boy than I have with King Meyer. Mamas Boy will give you better profile, more depth, better attitudes and more hair.

hntwhitetail

Woody said:
Just as SCC said, use him on a cow with some GUTS!  He is an absolute no on heifers!!! I used him on some of our better cows and in my opinion he is just another 734 son. He never improved the cow at all. I have got along way better with Mamas boy than I have with King Meyer. Mamas Boy will give you better profile, more depth, better attitudes and more hair.

Are they both full sibs?

crushertown

Great info. Never really heard of mamas boy. Ill need to look him up.  The reason I picked and really like. King Meyer was that he is a Meyer son,  but wag hairietta is his momma.  She has produced a lot in this industry and thats why he was going to be one of my bulls selected.

Woody

Yes they are full sibs, but they produce completely different. Just like Heatwave, his full sibs just don't have what it takes.

jamn

King Meyer works well on angus and maine angus cows that are medium to small framed. He will put square rumps, big hips and long fronts in his progeny. He adds bone and in many cases hair. He should not be used on tall, crossed up chi terminal cross cows needing guts (same cows that no other bull can fix). He should not be used on first calf heifers as he will add bone and square hips nearly every time. There are many winning heifers from the east coast to California out of him and Angus and Maine Angus cows. He has had bulls top bull tests on the scales and in sale price across multiple breeds at test stations by wide margins.  Ask people that raise more than a few head when comparing him to his brother Momma's Boy. Both bulls have their strengths but for look, huge rumps and bone on medium to small framed cows there is little comparison to what King Meyer adds over Momma's Boy. By the way come look at a pasture of fall baby's w 10 head of King Meyers on moderate framed cows compared to some of what most people call high powered a i bulls calves. The King Meyer's are the only ones visitors ask about.