KY Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

bcosu

pretty sure the maine of vicklands won the steer show
that's about all i know. didn't hear the rest and didn't stay for the rest of the heifers

inthebarnagain

Didn't stick around for the show but our 10 year old daughter was 6th overall in the junior division of the judging contest.  Not sure how many there were but last year there was just a little over a 100 and it looked like there was maybe that many this year.  We didn't even stick around for the awards ceremony and low and behold a friend of ours called and told us how she had placed.  I don't think she has stopped smiling yet, nor have we!! <party>

TJ

My cousin won Res. Grand Champion KY Owned % AOB heifer in the JR Show.  Not too bad considering the only time that she had the heifer 1/2 way set up correctly was during the Res. Championship drive.  My cousin & her heifer were both very green to the show ring & to each other, & it showed, but they both did great when it counted.  I kinda enjoyed seeing a smaller, (cough) frame 4 (cough) heifer do a little winning in a AOB Show!  ;)  I picked her out from Justin Olson way back in the summer.  Justin & his sister, Shelby, both fitted, clipped & took care of the heifer at the show.  She's a Perfect Timing/Wild Side Shorthorn Plus, with a low 70 lb. birth weight.  As long as she's as easy keeping as I think her dam is, she will fit right in here.  I was happy for my cousin & for Justin... it was nice to see them both enjoy the win!  Not gonna lie... I enjoyed it too, especially since she's a smaller framed heifer.  ;D   

I saw inthebarnagain's daughter... she seemed very excited!  I was impressed with her placing & seeing her smile was priceless... she's got a bright future ahead of her.       

Cattledog

TJ said:
My cousin won Res. Grand Champion KY Owned % AOB heifer in the JR Show.  Not too bad considering the only time that she had the heifer 1/2 way set up correctly was during the Res. Championship drive.  My cousin & her heifer were both very green to the show ring & to each other, & it showed, but they both did great when it counted.  I kinda enjoyed seeing a smaller, (cough) frame 4 (cough) heifer do a little winning in a AOB Show!  ;)   I picked her out from Justin Olson way back in the summer.  Justin & his sister, Shelby, both fitted, clipped & took care of the heifer at the show.  She's a Perfect Timing/Wild Side Shorthorn Plus, with a low 70 lb. birth weight.  As long as she's as easy keeping as I think her dam is, she will fit right in here.  I was happy for my cousin & for Justin... it was nice to see them both enjoy the win!  Not gonna lie... I enjoyed it too, especially since she's a smaller framed heifer.  ;D     

I saw inthebarnagain's daughter... she seemed very excited!  I was impressed with her placing & seeing her smile was priceless... she's got a bright future ahead of her.         

Do you have a pic?

TJ

Cattledog said:

Do you have a pic?

Not yet, but I will post one just as soon as I get one, unless Justin beats me to it. 

Dero

I got the chance to meet TJ and Olson while standing in the make up are, they are pretty easy to pick out with the Low Line cattle in hand.  I told the boy I was helping we wont let him forget it if he got beat by 1/2 a cow.  The shorty heifer is pretty impressive, who had the KY grand % heifer.

TJ

Dero said:
I got the chance to meet TJ and Olson while standing in the make up are, they are pretty easy to pick out with the Low Line cattle in hand.  I told the boy I was helping we wont let him forget it if he got beat by 1/2 a cow.  The shorty heifer is pretty impressive, who had the KY grand % heifer.

Yeah, standing in a make up area with a frame 3 heifer, when all the others are probably a frame 6 something is certainly a dead give away.  We stood out like a sore thumb!   ;)   A hoof trim, a daily routine (a weekly routine would be a step in the right direction) & a better exhibitor is the ONLY way we would've had a legit shot with her... and even then it would've been extremely tough... there were 3 real nice looking heifers in that class at the Expo & it's hard to give up that much size unless you have an outrageous show stopper.  Even I would've been a little shocked if we'd won a banner with her yesterday, despite the fact that she was fitted well & looked real good.  1 frame score bigger would really help her & she's not quite good enough in her front end to run with elite bigger heifers (elite Lowline heifers too for that matter), but she's very good overall, extremely powerful, & I am proud that my cousin wants to show her.      

Dero, it was nice meeting you!  Wish we hadn't been so busy at the time.   You had a nice looking heifer at the show.  Did she win the KY Grand purebred?  We were confused (we thought it was class 4 AOB, not grand KY)... when the judge made his selections & I didn't watch it, but I assumed that you won it.  BTW, thanks for the compliments RE the Shorty+.  If she was just a little soggier, I think that she could really become something, despite her smaller frame size. 

Dero

No the heifer I was with did not win anything other than 1st in KY in her class.  The red  Gelbvieh in the class before was Overall and KY grand. 

TJ

Dero said:
No the heifer I was with did not win anything other than 1st in KY in her class.  The red  Gelbvieh in the class before was Overall and KY grand. 

I was really hoping that you won the KY deal.  What was your heifer?  I meant to ask & kept getting getting distracted by the show ring.

Dero

No she's not mine she belongs to a friend of mine that sometimes helps us at a few shows.  But I kind of like her even if she is a Gelbvieh. 

Dero

We did not bring any heifers for the show, just my nieces steer who stood 4th in class behind Tolle and Ayers

TJ

Dero said:
No she's not mine she belongs to a friend of mine that sometimes helps us at a few shows.  But I kind of like her even if she is a Gelbvieh. 

Tolle & Ayers don't play around when it comes to steers.  Standing 4th in a class with them & I'm sure several other nice steers is quite an accomplishment... I'd say that your niece has a very good steer, especially since that whole steer show looked very competitive... particularly with all the twine building going on & all the paint flying.  The Shorty + heifer actually turned blackish due to all the drift from the people fitting steers in our aisle.

I thought that heifer looked like a Gelbvieh, but anymore, you never know.       

klintdog

Now you've got me curious. I'd love to see picks of the Gelbvieh heifer!

oakbar

Did anyone see the market heifer division?  I heard through the grapevine that a red Heat Wave heifer that was raised by some friends here in Northwood, Iowa was the Reserve Champion.  Does anyone know anything about the placings,etc??

shortyjock89

Here's the heifer we sold to TJ.  I think she'll look a lot better at State Fair time after she's been fed some.  Her momma is a first calf heifer by Wild Side.

OFSMissPrimeTime.jpg

Cattledog

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Here's the heifer we sold to TJ.  I think she'll look a lot better at State Fair time after she's been fed some.  Her momma is a first calf heifer by Wild Side.

What is the age of this heifer?

OH Breeder

The calf is nice looking it is those folks in the back that are hurting my eyes. That kid in the hat, WOW.....ouch.

really like your heifer OFS.

Kidding! LOL

Latest posts