Lance Armstrong

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

Winning at all cost. This is a tragic story and thought it would make a great discussion. Compairing to what we have seen in our sport of showing cattle, I think some may have gone too far with trying to be competitive.

Does anyone think being titled a "cheat" is fitting after all his wins?  NIKE says they're still going to keep him on in some of their Ad Campaigns.

nate53

My opinion:  Is he passed all the drug test when he was competing (a lot of test).  Why go after him all these years later and ruin him and his legacy?  What evidence do they have now that they didn't have when he was competing and if they do have something (which nothing has been shown outside of accusations) how could they possibly say it was 100% tamper free.  It seems some are just out to ruin him at all cost.  Winning 7 Tour France titles, he probably made some furious. 
Roger Clemens gets off but not Lance?  Why are we so focused on the past, don't we have enough problems now?  I just don't get it I guess. ???

trevorgreycattleco

The second and third place riders in several of his wins also tested positive. Do you know every rider in the tour de France is tested daily? That's like testing King James after every quarter. Or Peyton manning at halftime and after the game. Yes he cheated but so does the rest of the top cyclist. Why else would they test like they do? He just cheated better then the rest. It doesn't make it right. It's just reality. It is like that everywhere IMO. You just have to know it going in. Not everyone is honest and do not care what it takes. Bottom line. Winning trumps morals WAY more then what you want to believe. Winning equals money and that is the root of all evil.

On another note, Armstrong has raised over 500 million for cancer research. Does this matter in his legacy? I say yes. After loosing my dad to cancer I'm now more then ever all for anything to get rid of that damn disease. I feel the same about him as before. Incredible athlete who did what he had to do to win. What about usain bolt? I lick your boot if he isn't on something.

dimebag

He PASSED 100's of tests , i say leave the man alone ! when you're the best at something , there's always going to be people who are jealous and cry foul !!

J2F

Did he ever test positive? Could you imaging if every grand  champion that was accused of cheating was stripped of the title with no evidence required.There would be a bunch of them since I never known a grand champion not accused of cheating one way or another.  

rackranch

To the op, your right he did win at all cost.  In life and on two wheels but not with drugs.  He never failed one test out of the hundreds they gave him.  I don't blame him for finally telling our US government to
stick it where the sun don't shine.  Its just like them take try to take away or tarnish someone that the young people in our country can look up to.  He's more of a hero than any politician trying to run him down.  99.99% of all U.S citizens should admire him for what he accomplished.  The other .1% can do what Lance just told them to do.

trevorgreycattleco

What about ten of his own teammates saying the same thing for all these years? Yes he did dope but so did they. I will always believe he took something. But I could care less. So many sports are just the same anymore. The people trying to bust the cheaters are always behind the curve.

chambero

Im quite sure he used "stuff" - There are likely precious few athletes of that era that didnt in any sport.  If he passed the tests, he wasnt cheating.

BLSC

He passed every single drug test (which was over 500 throughout his career).  I'm sorry just leave the man alone. He will always be a very courageous person for beating the odds time after time with cancer.

Cowboy

Lance has done more good for humanity in general than any one I can think of. Look at the inspiration this man has given many thousands of health challenged people.

As far as that STUPID orginization that runs the cycling world, to come out and go after him after all this time is flat rediculous. I am appauled at how they have handled this. My opinion is that Contodor is the real culprit -- he ws jealous of Lance to begin with, and I watched how he failed to be a team player in Lances final year. Contodor was caught red handed -- and promptly pulled and fined as well. But they did it as soon as he failed a test. Lance NEVER failed a single test in all those years.

I aplaud Lance Armstrong --  (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) <party> <party> He is one we all need to look up to -- and I don't believe for a minute he was anything close to a DRUG BUSTER -- the thing with MOST athletes is simply -- if you are a competitor -- you had better be on your A game - what ever that means. Lance told them finaly to just KISS OFF - -and righfully so! Good job Lance -- you the MAN!!!!

Terry

herfluvr

He will always be a winner.....he beat cancer.  And in 2 weeks there will be a new "cheat" of a sport.  The public is pretty easy to get to forgive.  there are lots of athletes that are convicted of crimes and return to the limelight in some form or another.  Only he knows what he did or did not do and he has to live with it.  That might just be the worst punishment of all.

Grousepark

trevorgreycattleco said:
The second and third place riders in several of his wins also tested positive. Do you know every rider in the tour de France is tested daily? That's like testing King James after every quarter. Or Peyton manning at halftime and after the game. Yes he cheated but so does the rest of the top cyclist. Why else would they test like they do? He just cheated better then the rest. It doesn't make it right. It's just reality. It is like that everywhere IMO. You just have to know it going in. Not everyone is honest and do not care what it takes. Bottom line. Winning trumps morals WAY more then what you want to believe. Winning equals money and that is the root of all evil.

On another note, Armstrong has raised over 500 million for cancer research. Does this matter in his legacy? I say yes. After loosing my dad to cancer I'm now more then ever all for anything to get rid of that damn disease. I feel the same about him as before. Incredible athlete who did what he had to do to win. What about usain bolt? I lick your boot if he isn't on something.
Trevorgray...You are a wise man.  My hat is off to you.

shortii

After personally battling cancer myself, I can truly say that Lance Armstrong is an inspiration of mine as well as an American Legend. Like everyone else has said Armstrong had passed all of his drug testing before and after the races. I feel if I were in his shoes I would probably say the same thing if people kept hounding me. Why is it that when someone truly works hard and succeeds there is always someone that has to try to taint their good name. Here's a shocker Lance Armstrong is a great person, Athlete and role model THE END. Get over it haters.  <rock> <party> <beer> (clapping) ;D     

Telos

I too believe money along with the glory and other factors helps define winning for most.  Defeat for some is not an option.

This was a very sophisticated operation and these guys knew how to beat the system most of the time or until they got caught.

I think integrity got thrown on the back burner in this case.  

knabe

The whole sport cheated. Why pick on one guy. Just dissolve the sport.

It's boring. Its not even a real sport. No one understands it. The last day is a formality.

No one has a concept of where the riders are. It's a joke.