Late May steer calf market

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

We had a heifer calve today, ended up losing her calf.  I'm wondering though, how much of a market there is for late May born steer calves?  It seems like they would be almost too small for a midwest fair, but too big for Ft. Worth, etc.  She was a first calf heifer, but is calving a little over a month after everyone else.  I know the reason she's calving late and it's not a fertility issue, but I'm wondering if I would be ahead hauling her to the sale barn as opposed to keeping her and having her calve late every year?  Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

obie105

Depends on your area. Our county fair where I grew up you have to have a 2.25 adg. The fair is the last weekend in July. The early big calves sometimes struggle because our weigh in is in December. They are already getting close to being a year old. Those smaller 500-600 lbs do great. If its not fertility then you should be able to move her up every year. Especially this year by not nursing a calf if she was kicked out with a bull she may cycle here in 30 days. Feeder calves are still worth some pretty good money.

DLD

There will be quite a few May's at Fort Worth - depends on the individual and how they grow. There's also Denver, Phoenix, Kansas City, Tulsa, Dallas and I'm sure other shows where May calves work well.  And like Obie said, you ought to be able to get her moved up some - especially since she's not nursing a calf.  Breeding back in 30-45 days is very possible.  If you like her, I'd keep her.