Lazy steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

travis214

Hey everybody, this is my first post, and i have this steer who is really gentle (runs over to me when he sees me) but very stubborn. He leads great if im leading him to water or feed but when i take him to the barn to wash him or just walk him around, he'll fight me and make me pull him for a long time before he takes a step. I've had him for a couple weeks and i try to walk him every day but he never seems to learn. I've tried pulling him behind the four wheeler but when i do that he acts perfect and follows it great?Any tips on what to do? Do you think hes just lazy?

Ms Ray

It takes time, keep walking him.  Have someone walk behind him, it helps.  Is he by himself?  Sometimes they don't like to leave others, and have to get used to it.

I-69cc

Try getting a chain halter. Looks like a show halter but the chain is attached the haler not the lead. Its made of nylon and i think weaver makes 1 and I know sullivans does. Ive got a heifer thats the same way, she ll lick u to death in the pasture but pig headed on the halter. Hope this helps!

vc

We have had to many steers to count that were that way. (it is usually the tame ones) We found that getting into a tug-a-war with them was a losing battle, try pulling and lifting on the halter at the same time then realeasing over and over, lift, pull, release, lift, pull, release, may need to add a little shake to it as well (this will loosen the lead) seems to work with most calves.
We were just working some cows at a friends the other day, they halter them and then lead them into the chute. These cows are halter broke but get a halter on them about 3 times a year, I found if I pulled they put on the breaks, if I used the lift and pull method they moved much easier.
I have cheated in the barn many times by grabbing a hand full of volunteer oats growing near the barn, they will walk anywhere while that is waved in front of them, does not solve your problem, just can speed up the daily routine.

breyfarm

well if hes anything like the ones i used to have he will perk right up in front of hundreds of people and a judge  (thumbsup)

okiegirl

We have a heifer that won't lead.  She's very gentle, doesn't mind the halter.  You can brush and love all over, heck I think my daughter could sit on her.  SHE WILL NOT LEAD.  Stubborn as a mule.  We've tried leaving the halter on until she gets sore from stepping on it, pulling her with the 4-wheeler, working in circles.  Tomorrow it's gonna be the hot shot.  I have bruises across my hip bones from wrestling her.  Help! (argue)

Bradenh

practice leading with a show halter, and wrap the chin piece in barbed wire, then tape over that so it doesnt cut them up, just applies some extra encouragement to go.... thats how we break ABC's

okiegirl

okiegirl said:
We have a heifer that won't lead.  She's very gentle, doesn't mind the halter.  You can brush and love all over, heck I think my daughter could sit on her.  SHE WILL NOT LEAD.   Stubborn as a mule.  We've tried leaving the halter on until she gets sore from stepping on it, pulling her with the 4-wheeler, working in circles.  Tomorrow it's gonna be the hot shot.   I have bruises across my hip bones from wrestling her.  Help! (argue)

Two pops of the Hot Shot and she walks like a runway model.  (clapping)  My daughter 15 is taking her to Be A Champ's first camp session in June and I was getting nervous. She's a sweetie in every other way, just wouldn't walk.