Leading a calf into profile

Help Support Steer Planet:

WBar Farms

I have a steer that has been shown a few times already and was decent about the show stick and standing right but now a days he is horrible.  He always naturally stands so awkward and when I mess with him and the show stick he gets pretty pissed.  I really can't turn around and start scratching anymore hes just a pain hell move to the side or pull against me.  Hes stubborn on top of all this so walking him is a joy.  So does anyone have any cool tricks on how to train pissy ones.  I understand it will take time and just keep working but if theyre is something im missing out on that I should be doing then that all seems to be a waste.  Any suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks
Steven

Sassy2899

When you are setting him up for a profile view try to set his back feet without the show stick.  It is easier to move the front feet in place than the back.  Also, when you are moving a foot back but a little bit up backwards pressure on the lead this will let him know that he needs to move his foot backwards.  Do the same thing when you are moving a foot forward.  You might try scratching him on his brisket instead of his belly, some calves like it better.  Sullivan's makes an attachment for the show stick that has really bristles on it.  This helps calm calves down sometimes as well, I have one and i love it. Hope this helps you.

obie105

If you work with him at home you should get him to walk right into it with no show stick needed which I was always told is better for showmanship than messing with the show stick. I also remember doing showmanship and showing under Kirk Steirwalt a time or two and he said he would rather see one close and the exhibitor not messing with them constantly than trying to get one perfect. Woek at home with doing cues on the halter and walking into it. Also try scratching him on the brisket. 

knabe

if you tip his head, this helps them.

for instance, if you want the right rear to move, tip the head towards you and diagonally back to the rear foot.  opposite for other rear and opposite for front feet.

you shouldn't really need the showstick at all.

also, you should be stepping with the animal so when your foot comes up, theirs does too.

so when you slow down to stop, you should be able to get them to bring theirs down as you bring yours down and they will get used to this.

also, you can reward them with more directness so the reward is immediate and quick.  if you keep rubbing on them they will just think that's normal.

many ways to break it down.

scratch them right under to the right or left of their tail head.  don't do it too much or if anyone walks by they just lift up their tail.  only do it when they have done exactly what the finished product is, and still don't do it much or they will still stick their tail up.  you can do these variations to get their head up as well so you don't have to look like you are "not" lifting it up so you can hold the lead by resting it over your fingertips.

Tallcool1

I agree with every single post in this thread!  So my advice is IN ADDITION TO what has already been said.

General rule for us is if you need to move more than 2 of his feet, then lead him a half step forward.  It takes too long to get 3 feet moved, especially if he is not real excited about it to begin with.

When it is time to set him up in profile, stop about 8 feet behind the calf in front of you.  Once the calf behind you stops, then you will have room to operate.  Also, by "short stopping", you will have an exhibitor right behind you to tail the stubborn little fattie!

Now, work on half stepping him.  Stand directly in front of him, and give him a little tug. 

And maybe smear a whole bunch of molasses on the front of your shirt to get him to step toward you.  It will be barely noticeable on a white 4-H shirt! 

Hang in there.  I know they can be frustrating!  You will get it.  Just don't give up!