Leasing a Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Farmboy101

I am new to this forum and am wondering if anyone ever leases show calves.  I am not entirely new to showing but am looking for a calf to lease.  I am partial to Simmental and Percentage Simmental but I am open to any suggestions.  Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Farmboy101

I am from Minnesota.  Just some inside information.  I can handle all feeding.  We raise our own crops and feed a Purina ration mixed with our own corn so money to feed is not an issue.  I know with a lease sometimes people feel that can be an issue.  I am not a stranger to hard work either.  I can do all the daily hair care and have all the equipment and facilities needed to raise a calf.  It is just for reasons out of my control that I cannot raise a show calf off our farm herd or purchase a calf. I have done many jackpots, county fair, and our state fair and have placed very high so I know what it takes.  Any help or a name would be greatly appreciated.

Auburnviewfarms

What part of the state are you from? We are located about 60 miles straight west of the cities and raise shorthorn/ shorthorn plus cattle. We do lease calves to kids feel free to message me if you have any interest if we are close enough and I can get you my cell number.

shortyjock89

So the real issue for us when leasing a calf is that she would be one we'd want to keep back. That means that the care and feed would 100% have to be up to our standard. Finding a family that can do that, plus actually get her shown well enough is very difficult, and many of these folks think they know better and don't do well with direction, and the ones that could usually have their own calves to deal with.  So we would probably end up just doing it ourselves and let the kids just show her. I know that's not what a lot of people like to hear, but it's true.