Leasing Cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

RLN Cattle

So this past week I was offered an opportunity to lease a a 40 cow herd of angus cows.  The lady leasing them is an old widow, and a neighbor of mine, who previously ran a fairly successful purebred operation along with her husband.  Since his passing she kept the cream of the crop, consistent throwers, and cows she didn't think brought what they were worth at the dispersal sale.  She manages to sell 10-15 bulls annually from this small set ($2500 each with no marketing costs).  She has an established client base which cleans her out each year, a great relationship with the people she rents summer grass from, I have a pivot of corn stalks behind her house and corrals to use as winter feed.  All that being said, she has asked me to come up with terms for the lease of these cattle, and I was looking for any and all opinions!  I have heard of 1/3 owner and 2/3 leasee split on the calf crop, where leasee picks up all costs of production.  What other set ups have you seen work?  I want both parties to be happy.  I am not particularly an Angus fan, but she has the clientele lined up for such a set up.  I hope to eventually own the herd and be able to raise half blood cattle, or breed the cows clubby.  Who pays for semen? Vaccines? Thanks a ton for any and all input!

smo

just an idea not sure what ur trying to accomplish but what if she just payed you lets say $10000 idk what the going rate is and you take care of all the cows deal with breeding feeding moving and all the shots and every thing but all the babys are hers and she gets all the profits as well as pays for the feed
im guessing she just doesnt want to or isnt able to care for them her self and that might make you both happy

RLN Cattle

Eventually I would like to be able to own the cows, and breed them as I would like.  A flat rate would give me cash to purchase a few of the heifers I want.  She is getting to the point where its getting harder for her to care for them, but would like to keep her hands in the industry still and have some additional income. 

kiblercattle

I have a lease on 30 fall calving angus cows. I got to take pick out of 45 so I came out with some pretty darn good ones. Lease is I pay 100/ hd/ yr keep all bull calves owner has pick of 25% of the heifers and I take 25% of cows to either cull or keep. Also cover all expenses would like to work it out where I end up with the cows.