leasing cows for embryos

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEC

has any one done this and if so what are the problms and good about it.

CMAHerefords

I've heard of a bunch of people doing this.

They send the coop herd the eggs they want put in and then just come back in the fall to get the resulting pregnancy. I've heard most guys just pay a flat rate fee per weaned calf when they come to pick them up.

KCK

Kade Thompson in Oklahoma does it like CMAHerefords suggested. My dad used a place in Missouri, but I don't know who it was.
Kade and Katie are great people if you are close to Oklahoma. I think people love it or hate it; ie cattle look great or don't. Visit before you agree, start small and don't let them handle all your eggs. (don't put your eggs all in one basket:) couldn't resist!) Make sure you have a written contract. I heard a horror story on this once.

Earthmover

Be very careful we were taken by a large Angus breeder who had a rented place in Johnstown, Ohio.  The wife is a nasty SOB. They basically stole our embryos and packed up and went back to Kentucky. had a buddy put 11 embryos in a herd got 1 calf. That fall they had a sale with some real nice calves, go figure.

Silver

Earthmover said:
Be very careful we were taken by a large Angus breeder who had a rented place in Johnstown, Ohio.  The wife is a nasty SOB. They basically stole our embryos and packed up and went back to Kentucky. had a buddy put 11 embryos in a herd got 1 calf. That fall they had a sale with some real nice calves, go figure.

beware of this kind of thing, happens more than you think

Show Heifer

Know who you deal with... show up unannounced to check things out...verify PRIOR to double check their story about who puts the embryos in.....keep a few so you have DNA if you need it....don't believe anything unless you can verify it... double check their stories.....

Right now, I have a cooperator herd put in my embryos and I pick up the calves in the fall at weaning or in July if they are show calves.  No trading cows etc, etc. The herd has beening doing it for years, and have an untouchable record on both conception, and weaned calf size and health.  They have strict standards for their herd and the embryos they put in.....  everything works out great when you have good embryos!!!