Leasing Out Calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

So we had a family buy a steer from us last year and did a great job with him. They contacted us after he sold at their county fair asking about his sister. It is a heifer calf that we would really like to keep in our herd, so we thought about maybe allowing them to lease her for showing purposes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if maybe you had a contract you could send me that you have used in the past that I could look at to get an idea of what I should put in mine?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have never done this time of thing before in the past.

Thanks!

jbzdad

I have sold them the animal with an agreement to allow me to buy it back at a set price... I also pay for an agreed price for  the feed since I am  going to get her back... if you want a copy of the letter the kids sign I could e-mail it to you... I would absolutely have the agreement in writing so you can always understand and agree on the terms... not to take advantage of the kids but to keep the agreement from being forgotten

Most likely they are going to want to keep her if she does well and they like her... make sure you consider how you are going to deal with that... are you going to lose face if you make them bring her back ?How will you price her if they want to keep her?I think she is worth more after she wins as a bred heifer than she was as a six month old prospect

food for thought...  I am dealing with some of those issues right now