Let me ask you this - pics added

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

There are other breeds that carry the diluter gene. You'll need to have him tested for the diluter gene eventually if you plan to try to promote him IMO. Good luck & congrats on a good calf. Brent

Diamond

Nice calf, btw what is the breeding on the dam? if I may ask?

LUKE

The pictures of the calf are from when he is 11 days old.

Show Heifer

DTW said:
If he is just a calf how do you know that  he is going to pass all of those traits on to his offspring?

How do you know if ANY yearling bull will pass his traits on? 

I have already had several lookers in my pastures.... have you had anyone of the "big dogs" look at him and offer to buy him?  Looks like if he was "all of that"  launter, hook etc, would be knocking on your door.
I wish you the best of luck with him.... any current pics?

Nasc

Nice calf Zach.

You gonna divulge the pedigree?

By looking at the rear end shot I would have guessed HeatWave was in his gene pool somewhere.

farmboy

Nasc said:
Nice calf Zach.

You gonna divulge the pedigree?

By looking at the rear end shot I would have guessed HeatWave was in his gene pool somewhere.

He is out of a Purebred Hard Core x Grand Slam bull we bought last year and cleaned up a few cows before he got into some trouble and ended up dead exactly 21 days after turning him out. calves out of him were as good as our AI calves too  :-\ :-\ :-\ He is for sale at the right price  8)

CAB

Zach, nice looking pair. Have you made any decisions as to what you'll try to do with him? IMO you would need to test for diluter gene @ the minimum. He may work for the southern boys.

Show Steaks

If you spend enough money on promoting any bull can see enough use and be bred to enough cows to make a couple good ones
The picture does look pretty sweet a smokey 5/8 maine kinda catchy

farmboy

What I'm planning on doing : if he makes the cut for a bull, I'll feed him pretty good and then work on him really hard in the winter time, working hair etc etc, and then if he looks good, take some pics of him fitted up and video. Then breed some to him in the spring and possibly a few of the neighbors cows and see how that turns out. If those calves are any good and meet the criteria, I could take him to a collection place and go from there. I (we) don't have the money to do the big promotion stuff (Denver) so I'll just let the calves do the talking.

As of yesterday, this is by far the stoutest two month old calf I have ever seen. I think I'll name him Fluke  (lol)

Doc

Zach said:
As of yesterday, this is by far the stoutest two month old calf I have ever seen. I think I'll name him Fluke  (lol)

He looks really good for a young calf. Good luck with him.. Not my place but I might reconsider on naming him "Fluke " if you are trying to promote consistency.

LUKE

Doc said:
Zach said:

He looks really good for a young calf. Good luck with him.. Not my place but I might reconsider on naming him "Fluke " if you are trying to promote consistency.

Good point Doc.

farmboy

LUKE said:
Doc said:
Zach said:

Good point Doc.

No no his name is White Nose  ;D ;D ;D

LUKE

Zach said:
LUKE said:
Doc said:
Zach said:

Good point Doc.

No no his name is White Nose  ;D ;D ;D

Thats much better

farmboy

herefordfootball said:
How bout Smoke Bomb. I like White Nose too though. Hey you'll have to start a "Name the Promotional Bull" thread and could offer up some prizes ;) ;)

(lol) thats an inside joke