Let me know what you think of this steer!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Goinbroke

This is my 9 y/o son's first steer.  We have shown heifers in the past and we are trying our hand with this steer, so I am curious what everyone thinks about him or what I need to change about him.  Please let me know, any advice is useful.  Here is his pedigree:

Breed: Angus
Sire:  Out of (Connealy Thunder X OCC Rosemary)
Dam: Out of (Sydgen Retail Product X DCF Everelda)
DOB: 4/11
Weight: 780

Attachments

• Steer (2).JPG
    Steer (2).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 156

vc

He is a good enough looking Angus, he won't have the power that the Club calves do but he can compete against his own. I would keep pouring the feed to him and get him on Stabilized Rice Bran when he hits 1000 pounds.
I would like to see him a little deeper in the heart girth and flank, that may come with time and feed. He has a good top line, clean fronted. He also seems to be growing well, 7 months 780 pounds.
The biggest question is, is he gentle? Because if he is, then I would say he is perfect for a 9 year old.
We started with commercial Angus calves, and they looked Angus, but the guy that we got them from culled heavy on attitude, made it real easy to work with them.
The picture I posted is my youngest sons first steer, Fat Fred, Angus and gentle as an old Labrador.

Attachments

• washday.JPG
    washday.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 228
  • fred.JPG
    fred.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 153

Goinbroke

He is dog gentle with my son.  I can walk in the pen to get him out and he won't hardly budge without some coaxing, but my son can grab the lead and he just takes to following him.  When I am leading him he will push against me but he never does anything like that with my son.  A good example was last night......We have another heifer that I am breaking to lead, she has been on the farm for 10 days and we pulled her straight out of the pasture, she took to the halter OK, after 3-4 days I started to break her to lead she was a little skidish being led for the first time but did pretty well, considering.  Last night I was leading her and I was ahead of everyone else (my 3 kids and their calves) and mine spooked for some reason.  When I am breaking a calve to lead I walk them on a 20' lead rope so I have plenty to hold on too, well last night I needed ALL of it.  She was going crazy, never got away from me but she got an "A" for effort.  When she spooked she spooked everything else, my 16 y/o let go of hers, my 14 y/o let go of his,  both heifers headed for the barn.  This steer jumped back pulling my son to the ground (my son weighs about 65 lbs), when doing this the steer stepped on my sons leg because it was under the steer when he fell.  The steer ran in a circle then came right back to my son and stood next to him while he was on the ground.  My son stood up and grabed the lead rope and took the steer into the barn gave him some water then returned outside to fininsh walking him, with no problem.  My son was OK, of course I am sure it hurt but my son loves showing cattle so much I don't think he would have told me any different.  My point to all of this is I think this steer is mindful of the size of my son and acts totally different when he is on the end of the lead rope.......If that's at all possible

vc

Then he is the perfect steer, I would not change a thing about him. Good luck to your son this show season.

easttex

Attitude goes a long way with a kid who is just starting showing. Better to have a decent all around steer than have a great one that is a lunitic and makes the kiddos not want to show again. JMO 

vc

Here is the new wash rack (5 years old), used the same connectors ( rail connectors from Grainger) and longer pipe. The floor is #2 road base material with one sack of concrete rake into the top 2 inches and then wet down and viber plated, it has held up for 5 years of use. Same kid, they grow up fast.

Attachments

• DSC_0860.JPG
    DSC_0860.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 130