LHD Cigar E46

Help Support Steer Planet:

flyintale

How much does Cigar semen cost right now? What's the average bid/ unit at auctions?

Mark H

The $300 number is correct.  The next question is what is the signing fee. I would call DeBruyckers to see what that costs.  If you have an excellent female you might get some semen in trade for embryos and a reduced signing fee.  Just a throught.

flyintale

I'm interested to see how much it will sell for.  Thanks for the heads up on the signing fee; that's one thing that would've slipped my mind before purchasing. 

Freddy,  I had considered your offer. But now,  I'm wondering if your trying to sell me bad semen. ;)  I paid high dollar for 3 straws of Ali a few years ago,  I'm pretty sure I got hosed on that deal.

Bradenh

Freddy won't sell you any junk- me and him actually have talked about that semen and if I was actually seriously looking for some he would be my first bet

flyintale

Notice the  ;)   
If I was that afraid of buying something that wasn't going to work,  I wouldn't be in this business.  However,  it is quite annoying anytime a cow does not stick to ai, but there is no guarentee.
I have an oahe wind daughter to breed back this winter.  She's a super long and powerful cow! Excellent milk production.  Lacking depth.  Any suggestions?

Bradenh

O'Brien Show Cattle said:
Notice the  ;)   
Lacking depth.  Any suggestions?

We are trying wrangler on a firewater daughter looking for depth and extension

Also m6 cool rep will add depth

Mark H

On this long and powerful cow that lacks depth.  I am assuming that she needs some guts.  I don't want to reduce her power or other traits.  I also want good marketability.
Some bulls to consider:
SPARROWS BIRMINGHAM 758T http://www.semex.com/di/beef/i?lang=en&beef=view&breed=CH&av=&view=80
SVY PILGRIM:  http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1CH00953&lang=EN
SILVER STREAM PERFORMER P38 http://www.charolaisbanner.com/trin/sire.htm
The last bull is a breed icon in Australia and New Zealand.  He is working well in North America.  If you female is good enough perhaps you can get TRI N to let you use him if you give him some embryos.

RyanChandler

Those three bulls above are all very nice.  I'd pick the Sparrows bull- regardless of what the dam lacked.  Breed to your ideal.

Mark H

Bud Heavy is more of a performance bull  (better EPDs) than Allstate and Allstate has better claving ease.  Both are out of excellent cows.
Something to keep in mind about the bulls i recommended:  They do not have a good population of calves with the AICA so their projected EPDs will not reflect their true performance.  that said silver stream is the highest performing bull of the bulls mentioned.  The Sparrows bull is out of one of the premier operations in North America and their bull sale average reflects this.  All the bulls mentioned  gave you will produce showable progeny.
What are the cows EPDs and what else do you want to emphasize?

flyintale

Cow's EPDs  CE -3.2  BWT 2.7  WWT 14  YWT 35  MILK 1  MCE 0.9  MTNL 8  SCRO 0.3  CW 9  REA 0.27  FAT -0.007  MARB -0.04

Bud Heavy would improve birth and weaning wts, both important to me from a show and commercial standpoint.
This will be her 2nd calf. Her first calf she had unassisted @ 80 lbs. She has such a large frame, I'm not too worried about calving ease.

Where would I get silver stream semen if I do decide to go that direction, and would it would any more difficult to register the calf?

Mark H

I want better EPDs for this cow particularly for growth.  If you want to reduce frame Birmingham is a F/S 6.6, Pilgrim is a F/S 7.7 and Performer is likely a 7.  all will increase your growth and power.
Silver Stream is a Full French bull and can easily sire registered cattle in the U. S.  You would have to do the DNA work and required of all AI sires but that is a formality.  he guys that bought the rights to use him in Canada are TRI N and Harvie ranching:
http://www.harvieranching.com/sires_charolais.html
http://www.trincharolais.com/
I don't know if they have the U. S. rights.  Getting the use of this bull would be a big advance since this bull has great market acceptance.
Here is the website for the owners of silverstream: http://www.silverstreamcharolais.co.nz/  Getting to use a bull like these takes more work and can cost more than the average bull but the payoff can be great.  No semen has hit the open market in North America.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
You said not concerned with birth weight or calving ease ,your  probably right as far as getting live calf ,but if the birth weight is over 100  pounds and  bull they are very difficult to market in most places .....BUD HEAVY -I LIKE HIM A LOT and will try some of him, birth weight EPD is higher than I like ,prefer not to go over 2.00 on mature cows because I want a marketable product .Charolais is the way to go, was large group of Charolais  steer's the other day at BROKEN BOW ,NE. bring 1268.00 dollars a head right off the cows .....

SIZE & GROWTH are great but at what cost, if you can't sell product because of too  big a birth weight it isn't going to make you much money ....THE PRICE OF THESE CALVES a dink is worth more than a dead one ....

flyintale

What do you think the chances are of getting a 100+ lb calf out of Bud Heavy?  I'm a big fan of the bull, and would much rather have a heifer born at the weight than a bull calf.  Bc I would more than likely end up steering a bull calf that had a BWT that heavy. 

Mark H

Birth weight is highly dependent on management, evironmnet and the size of the cow,  If you are in the midwest your birth weighte will be around 15 LBS less than for the same bull used in Western Canada.  None of the bulls suggested are considered hard calving that includs Silverstream Performer.  If he had any claving problems they never would have brought the semen over from New Zealand.
If yu want a bull to lower birth weight and increase growth but not quite the guts i would look at M6 New Standard.

Latest posts