Lice Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorn boy

Has anyone ever given ivomec injections to their cattle for lice and have it not work? ??? I am positive that I gave the corect dosage and this is the second time I have had this happen. I have used ivomec for lice before and it worked just fine and I always give my show animals the shots because the pour on leave a dry flakey residue behind. Does it take a while for ivomec to work (I gave this calf the shot about three weeks a go)? My other question is what should I do to get rid of it? Is it ok to give another shot of ivomec or another product or is there another product that anyone on here recomends? I am willing to try anything but the pour on stuff unless that is my only option. I used a pour-on on one of my show calves last year and it got rid of the lices which was excellent but it gave him really dry skin and it took me forever to get rid of  it.

Thank you ahead of time for the feedback. :)

kanshow

If you have a bad infestation, you will need to follow up with a second treatment.   

You are using injectable Ivomectrin?    Could it be old or been mishandled in such a way that it is ineffective?  FWIW in my experience..  the injectables are never as good on external parasites as a pour on. 
You may just need to bite the bullet and use a pour on.  Ivermectrin pourons are usually very effective but arent' the best on hair.  Cydectin is a good alternative. 

shorthorn boy

Ok that is another thing that I was not sure of is if i needed to give a second treatment. So Cydectin doesn't leave that harsh residue and drys out the skin like ivormectin or just not as bad?

CAB

You could get some Taktic and spray him 2Xs 14 days apart. That should take care of the lice. Stierwalt uses Taktic once per week.

shorthorn boy

Would a Promectin (spelling ?) product that can be sprayed on the animal work? Is it OK on hair? I know that I can get some of that around here. No stores that are close sell cydectin or taktic :(.

CAB

Get your hands on the container or go to the internet and do a search. See wht the label says as it pertains to controlling lice.

shorthorn boy

Thank you CAB and Kanshow, one of our local farm store does carry Cydectin and taktic it just wasnt listed on their website. The farm store in my town sells Cylence so I bought some of that not knowing that the other store sold cydectin and taktic. So I think I better use up the Cylence first then I will got out and buy one of the other two products. Thanks for your help. I really liked the fact that the the cydectin and taktic takes care of both lice and mites.