Lice

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

Does anybody have any fast remedies to getting rid of Lice? I have a show in a month? We just noticed it and we started using Lice powder and Bacon grease but I was wondering if anyone had any that wouldnt case most of her hair to fall off. Thanks in advance

CAB

Whatever product that you decide to use, do it 14 days later also. Breaks to life cycle for lice. Everyone forgets to systematically take care of parasites. You can pick up a can of TacTic and add a capfull of it to 5 gals. of H2O add pour on your calves once a week to keep them clean from both lice and mange once under control. Doesn't cost very much to do.

firesweepranch

CAB said:
Whatever product that you decide to use, do it 14 days later also. Breaks to life cycle for lice. Everyone forgets to systematically take care of parasites. You can pick up a can of TacTic and add a capfull of it to 5 gals. of H2O add pour on your calves once a week to keep them clean from both lice and mange once under control. Doesn't cost very much to do.

OK, not finding any info on a search for TacTic. What is it and where you do find it?

Sambosu

I believe CAB is referring to Taktic and I haven't been able to get any for months.  Every store that used to sell it locally said it was discontinued.  I hoped they were wrong but I have not been able to buy any for almost a year.  The stores on-line that used to sell it also say discontinued or unavailable.  I use cydectin pour-on this time of year.  Seems to work pretty well, doesn't seem to burn their skin.  Started using it because Kirk Stierwalt recommended it for show calves.

cpratz

Sambosu said:
I believe CAB is referring to Taktic and I haven't been able to get any for months.  Every store that used to sell it locally said it was discontinued.  I hoped they were wrong but I have not been able to buy any for almost a year.  The stores on-line that used to sell it also say discontinued or unavailable.  I use cydectin pour-on this time of year.  Seems to work pretty well, doesn't seem to burn their skin.  Started using it because Kirk Stierwalt recommended it for show calves.
I used to use that stuff all the time and have never gotten lice on a calf in about 7-8 years. But can't seem to find it anywhere in Oklahoma!

CAB

E-mail Stierwalt. He'll have something that he is using in place of the Taktic if he can't get that product any longer.

BLSC

If you decide on Ivermectin (which we have good luck with) make sure you switch it up with something else that has a different active ingredient in it, every other time you delouse your cattle, otherwise the lice seem to build up a resistance to it. You should really do it with all pour-ons.