Lies lies lies or honest mistake?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DakotaCow

Allow me to explain myself. I have been using Golden Child for the last 3 years, never had to pull a calf, loved the power and growth I had with the calves and they were easy to work with. Last year before breeding season I purchased more semen(10 units) from the owners of the bull, before then I had been getting it through Genex. I had one straw left from the last year and went ahead and used it and the other 10 on some of my favorite cows, cows he had clicked with really well in the past. During calving season they came early and light and were pretty slick. I was quite suspicious but as they grew I knew they couldnt be GC calves. As far as conception goes it was ok, 8 calves out of the 10 units purchased from Lautners and my 1 for 1 out of the stuff from last year. I recently got the tests back.......the only one that was out of GC was the Genex collected semen. The sire of the others doesnt exist in the data bank. Before you ask I turned the cows out with a red clean up bull 10 days after breeding and got some black calves out of red cows. And no i did not mess up and forget to write the sire and cow down. Im quite disapointed about this.

J

JTM

Did you contact the owners who sold you the semen and told them what you found out? Curious to what they said? Obviously, you have the straws of semen that have Golden Child written on the straw with a code, etc.? It would also be interesting to contact the bull stud who collected the bull and tell them what you found out. Who collected the bull? ???

DakotaCow

I wish I still had all the information however since I used up the semen and the straws were long gone by the time I suspected a problem then I really dont have much of a case. Im pretty much going to Genex semen from now on with the odd case of occasionally buying direct from the collection facility and testing one of the units for viability.

chambero

There never has been a shortage of GC semen and it isnt in high demand, so I dont see where there would have any incentive to intentionally send you something else.

One of the knocks on GC was that some of his calves would have very little hair.

knabe

call them anyway.

they should know what lot you purchased and tell them to check it for parentage.

husker1

Any semen dealer will stand behind this and have record of what you purchased.  Don't just lie down on this...you are certainly owed an adjustment.  I've seen first hand that mistakes like this happen.  I remember one deal where a guy flushed PB Charolais and was getting red calves.  Turned out that the semen canes were coded incorrectly at the collection facility.  That was a big settlement.

OH Breeder

chambero said:
There never has been a shortage of GC semen and it isnt in high demand, so I dont see where there would have any incentive to intentionally send you something else.

One of the knocks on GC was that some of his calves would have very little hair.

Golden Child is suppose to have record on file per Chi Association rules because he is an AI sire. 328216#  If they said no match then there's a problem.

I had a similar experience with an AI sire a few years back. Some how this sire never had genetic material on file. But because I requested it they did contact the owners and request it.

hntwhitetail

knabe said:
call them anyway.

they should know what lot you purchased and tell them to check it for parentage.
OH Breeder said:
chambero said:

Golden Child is suppose to have record on file per Chi Association rules because he is an AI sire. 328216#  If they said no match then there's a problem.

I had a similar experience with an AI sire a few years back. Some how this sire never had genetic material on file. But because I requested it they did contact the owners and request it.

He has it on file, just that the calves didn't match GC.

The Show

I would give them a call and explain to them what happened, and that the tests confirmed it. I don't see any reputable breeder not trying to make this right.

Latest posts