Livestock Judging

Help Support Steer Planet:

cotton9

Hello, I'm quite interested in finding out the requirements and process of getting on a livestock judging team, especially at the junior level, and even later on at the four-year level. Also, I would like to hear people's opinion on the best junior colleges in Texas to look at if you're considering livestock judging.

I'm currently a freshman in high school, and I would like to learn more about judging in college to see if I would like to pursue later on and what I need to do to prepare myself if I do decide to pursue judging in college! Thanks in advance!

:)

sizzler14

Hey, I am currently on a collegiate team. So i can give you some advice. Whenever I was in 10th grade, I went to Lousiville and judged at the national competition (you had to qualify and win state), there I placed tied-for-2nd lost the tiebracker on reasons and finished 4th overall in beef (my speciality). I got three offers to go jusge at the college level. Butler Community College in El Dorado Kansas, West Virginia University, and another small school in western,Oklahoma. I ended up going to WVU because i got engaged and that was close home because my fiance didnt want to move. If i was you, there are two schools i would look at to go judge. Number one is Blinn college in Texas. Brandon Callis is an excellent coach who knows more about animals then most people will learn in a lifetime. Next is Butler Community college in Kansas. Chris Mullinax is what I consider the elite coach/program in the country. He even gets you into great colleges like texas am and oklahoma state after butler. I kick myself everyday for not telling my fiance to suck it up and moving to kansas. Lastly about preparing  yourself. To be honest the thing that helped me place nationally was where i come from cattle jackpot shows are every weekend. I used to go and listen to the judges. Id judge the class myself and then watch how the judge placed them and then Id listen to his reasons. Your not always going to agree but listen to the terminology and see how it fits the class. If your from texas, go to ft.worth, go to  houston, watch the classes. the more animals you see, the better you will get. Look at animals for sale like on here, pull up a pic and tell yourself what you like and dislike about the animal. P.S I go through A.I Books and judge bulls. You can never ever look at too many animals.
]
I hope this helped you out

johndeereman

Judging livestock at the college level is one of the most memorable experiences a person will have in their life.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my juco career and would encourage anyone involved with livestock to try it.  As far as Texas junior college programs, I would reccomend Blinn, Clarendon, Howard, and Frank Phillips.  Blinn is by quite some margin the most competitive of the four.  When the time comes to start checking schools out, contact the coach and set up an appointment to visit the college.  Until then, find a good 4-H coach that is current with the livestock trends to help get your mind trained to evaluate classes and give a set of reasons.  It wouldn't hurt if this coach had connections to some of the collegiate coaches.  I encourage you to participate in as many contests as possible through 4-H and FFA.  This will help you get noticed and recruited by the coaches.  Hope this helps.

twistedhshowstock

Some of my favorite memories and one of the best times of my life was my time judging collegiately.  I highly recomend it to anyone, especially if you career plans include this industry, it provides numerous connections and opportunities.  For JuCo in Texas I have to agree Blinn is kind of in a league of its own.  You have to very very good coaches there in Brandon Callis and Brant Poe.  Be as involved as you can in the 4-H and FFA programs, and even get involved in TJLA's new judging points system.  They will have TJLA contest at the Camp in May, Belt Buckle, and Fall Classic as well as a few others I think.  The contest at the Texas Majors and State Fair also count for points in TJLA. 
Personally I think the biggest unjustice the judging contests in Texas do to their competitors is not making you talk reasons.  If you go to a National Contest or Collegiate level judging you will have to talk reasons.  Not only do you have to talk reasons, the contest are pretty much won or lost in the reasons room.  There are numerous people out there that can go and place the classes right, but not as many that can accurately, confidently, and comfortably defend their placings in the reason room.  But since so many people can place the classes right, thats why reasons are so important in deciding the winners.  I know TJLA is going to have question classes in their contest, not sure if they are going to have reasons classes.  But I do know that at the Judging Seminars at Camp in May I think Brandon and Brant are doing the selection part, and Ryan Rash is going to be going over reasons.  I know there are people that have their issues with Rash, but he is exceptionally good on the mic at shows he judges, and during his time collegiately he was a standout in the reasons room.
Since most Texas contests dont make you talk reasons you may actually go ahead and contact Brandon and Brant at Blinn, tell them your desires, and they may be willing to help you with reasons or point you in the direction of someone close to you that can help.  It doesnt take long to teach someone how to sort animals, but it takes years to refine someone in the reasons room.  I think its great that you are already expressing these desires, and think you should do well if you take these next 4 yrs to hone your skills.

cotton9

Thanks for all the advice! It's been great and extremely appreciated!

I have another question to add on to this topic as well. Have any of y'all had to deal with managing athletics/sports while still trying to have a successful judging career in high school? What is your opinion on this?