Living in Montana

Help Support Steer Planet:

BroncoFan

My family and I might be transferring to Montana in the near future. Most likely between Shelby and Malta. We're trying to get all the info we can get about the area. If anyone that uses this website has any info it would be appreciated. Or if anyone could steer us in the right direction.  Information on the schools, land prices, raising cattle, how many acres to feed cow calf pairs, etc. Thanks in advance.

Mill Iron A

Land prices will be extremely cheap compared to what you are used to. Wonderful people up there, the cattle are typically but not always a little bigger due to the weather. Caution: it is extremely cold up there. Cattle need to be in good shape going into winter and winter lasts for a long time. Malta was the first place I ever saw people order hot water to drink instead of cold in the winter just to warm up. Good cattle people though. Flesch angus is up there in Shelby and I couldn't say enough good things about those people. Honesty, Integrity, and really nice angus cattle. Not sure what else you would like to know.

BroncoFan

Thanks for the info. You pretty much summed up what we were wanting to know and have seen in our research of the area.

GoWyo

Land prices per acre might look favorable, but if buying ag property, you need to look at the price per animal unit for cow-calf pairs.  You might have a largely irrigated place of 200 acres that can run 75 cows year round, but a range outfit might take 1500 acres or more to run the same number of cattle.

xxcc

Just out of curiousity, why BTW Shelby and Malta? That is a huge spread in distance and far from any 'real' amenities. Have is OK, but good Lord it's cold up there. Do you know how to flood irrigate? The Milk River area near Havre(pronounced have-er might be a good bet and not like Bret Favre). There are county shows and market shows, but jackpots are slim and none. I live less than an hour south of Shelby and know a ton about our state if you have more questions.

As far as land prices, if you want something good, it can be found, but you have to hunt. It might be a good thing gas prices in Great Falls were $1.939 yesterday.

BroncoFan

xxcc said:
Just out of curiousity, why BTW Shelby and Malta? That is a huge spread in distance and far from any 'real' amenities. Have is OK, but good Lord it's cold up there. Do you know how to flood irrigate? The Milk River area near Havre(pronounced have-er might be a good bet and not like Bret Favre). There are county shows and market shows, but jackpots are slim and none. I live less than an hour south of Shelby and know a ton about our state if you have more questions.

As far as land prices, if you want something good, it can be found, but you have to hunt. It might be a good thing gas prices in Great Falls were $1.939 yesterday.
The short version of the story is I could be transferring with my job to one of those 3 places. I'll know for sure come about April or May.

BroncoFan

Anyone know if the growing season is long enough to get 3 cutting of hay if you can irrigate? When is usually about the time that you have to start haying? What does it normally take to feed each cow through the winter? 2.5 to 3 tons of hay per cow?

misty

We live in Dillon, MT which is in the south west tip. We have been raising hay
for 30 years here and if you have irrigation you can get 2 cuttings a year here.
There have been a couple of years that we got 3 cuttings but you have to have
an early spring and a really late fall then it is still hard to get that last cutting dry.
We try to cut the 3rd week in June but the old standard is after the 4th of July
second cutting is usually the last week in August.

Tallcool1

Good Luck to you and your family!  I know that winter is tough up there, but I also know that the rest of the year is amazing!

The only personal experience I have with Havre MT is I dealt with a US Bank branch up there that handled overnight sweep accounts!

Congratulations.

kiblercattle

Good luck! Montanas a beautiful state. The only thing I know about havre is that it makes the paper weekly in the winter time being the coldest place in the nation!