Long or Short box

Help Support Steer Planet:

SAR

Jason said:
BCCC said:
If I was looking at a crew cab I would be getting a shortbed. If the truck is a regular cab, or an extended cab, a long bed is great.  We only have 3 long beds, and only one of them is a 4 door Its a 06 Dodge mega cab that has had the long bed conversion done to it and its scary then  to ride with my sisters or mom driving it......To say the least there is a line of cars behind them when they finally get into the parking space. They probally back up and pull foward at least 15 times!

Got any pics of the mega cab, long bed conversion?  That would be a sweet setup.  I know a lot of people don't get mega cab because of the short bed.

Here is a link to some pics of the Mega Cabs with longbed conversions.  http://www.innovativecustoms.net/mega_cabs.php

klintdog

The mega-cab long box looks really good in the dually version. I probably would have gotten one of those if it was available from the factory!

BIGTEX

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy long bed. Great for pullin'. I have a tool box and still have a lot of room in the back. It is kinda hard to park. Just park out in the back 40 when you go to Wal-Mart. We have a couple of dealerships that wont take a Dodge Pickup in trade. I can also hear a Dodge Diesel over mine at a stop light.

jason

BCCC said:
Steer Boy 101 said:
Wow i cant image it. I saw a Mega cab dully and it look stupid as can be. the cab is longer than the bed. now with the long box  that sounds nice, except for one thing, its still a dodge. but any how that sounds neat. would love some pictures.
It may be a dodge but in 400k miles it will also still be a cummins.

Ford actually could sell me new truck if they would have put a Cummins in it. 

BCCC

BIGTEX said:
I can also hear a Dodge Diesel over mine at a stop light.
And thats a bad thing why?? We only have one truck thats not straight piped and its a dodge with the new 6.7 cummins.

jason

BCCC said:
BIGTEX said:
And thats a bad thing why?? We only have one truck thats not straight piped and its a dodge with the new 6.7 cummins.

BCCC
are you chipped?  I am still at the age, where louder and more smoke is better.  ;D

ShowmanQ

Jason said:
BCCC said:
BIGTEX said:

BCCC
are you chipped?  I am still at the age, where louder and more smoke is better.   ;D

I am young enough to appreciate the raw power of some of these pickups and what you are able to do to them with the aftermarket stuff, but on the other hand....I have to pay a feed bill, and when fuel gets back to $4 I would prefer to drive on it rather than see it blow out the tail pipe. Call me cheap (lol)

Show Heifer

Showman Q, I call you reasonable and responsible!!! Wish I had a "sugar daddy" to let me let it blow out the pipe!!

Anyway, my theory (and it has yet to be proven wrong) is the more "pimped out" the truck, the smaller the ummm, well, you know.

Wallet, yea, that is what I meant. The smaller the wallet.......

BCCC

Jason said:
BCCC said:
BIGTEX said:

BCCC
are you chipped?  I am still at the age, where louder and more smoke is better.   ;D
Most of our trucks have a small edge ez chip, mainly just for fuel milage. However we have a 98 dodge  3500 dually 12v(so it cant be chipped) but it has a HX50 turbo(mainly on semis), 375 marine injectors, has a triple disc clutch in it at the moment and hopefully will keep that one(to say the least it has went threw ALOT of clutchs..... at least 5 since we have owned it) with an all billet tranny doesnt even have a fuel plate in it! Bright red with dual 7 inch black stacks. AND best of all it will run a 11 second quarter mile, and will black out a whole intersection, and hazes black smoke just when ideling. It also runs at about 45lbs of boost!! that is our most modifed truck. Most of our trucks get 20-25 mpg  and about 13-18 when hauling a trailer. However the 6.7 gets about 14mpg but only has 15k miles.

jason

That is what worries me about getting a newer one is the fuel mileage.  I still like the old 12v. 

BCCC said:
Jason said:
BCCC said:
BIGTEX said:

BCCC
Most of our trucks have a small edge ez chip, mainly just for fuel milage. However we have a 98 dodge  3500 dually 12v(so it cant be chipped) but it has a HX50 turbo(mainly on semis), 375 marine injectors, has a triple disc clutch in it at the moment and hopefully will keep that one(to say the least it has went threw ALOT of clutchs..... at least 5 since we have owned it) with an all billet tranny doesnt even have a fuel plate in it! Bright red with dual 7 inch black stacks. AND best of all it will run a 11 second quarter mile, and will black out a whole intersection, and hazes black smoke just when ideling. It also runs at about 45lbs of boost!! that is our most modifed truck. Most of our trucks get 20-25 mpg  and about 13-18 when hauling a trailer. However the 6.7 gets about 14mpg but only has 15k miles.

BCCC

Yea they normally don't do very well on fuel unless you gut your exhaust. However I work for a guy that also has one that has about 65k miles on it and it is now getting 21mpg when before it was only getting about 12, they normally do better on fuel once they hit 50k miles.... The 12V's are definitely my favortie of the cummins.

jason

BCCC said:
Yea they normally don't do very well on fuel unless you gut your exhaust. However I work for a guy that also has one that has about 65k miles on it and it is now getting 21mpg when before it was only getting about 12, they normally do better on fuel once they hit 50k miles.... The 12V's are definitely my favortie of the cummins.

That is good to hear that they break in nicely.

klintdog

When I bought my 08 Chevy, I drove my 04 down to Bismarck to pick it up, got 19 mpg doing 75 on interstate. On the drive back I was getting 11.2 in the new truck. I've now got 26,000 on it and it's been sitting around 14.5 - 15. Hopefully it just keeps getting better!

BIGTEX

My Chevy '07 gets 20 on the highway and about 13.5 with a load. I almost have 100,000 miles in less than 2 years. Never had a problem. 6.6 turbo w/ an Allision Transmission.