Longevity in cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

FJLranch

What breed of cattle live and produce for the longest period of time with no special treatment?

I usually keep the heifers from all my cows that have calves and raise them after 16 years old. I have had some calve in their 17th year and raise the calf. These are Santa Gertrudis cattle that are in the pasture with no special treatment other than hay in winter and mineral year round. Most of them will still produce when they are 14.  This is in central Texas, could weather have something to do with it?( they don't all do this just a select few)

Larry

aj

Cool.....sounds like you have some great genetics for longevity. I have heard that fertility is the most important economical trait with longevity second. I think enviroments play some impact. Years ago alot of people fed silage and I think this was harder on acows teeth as far as decay went. I don't think as many people mess with silage anymore. I have a couple 13 year old cows and I had to wean the one calf cause she couldn't take it anymore. I would think like parasite controll would be important in making a cows longevity. There are some awfull good Santa Gertrudis cattle out. Good post!

JSchroeder

FJLranch, it’s not your climate, minerals, or special genetics.  That’s just what Brahman influenced cattle are supposed to do.  You’re treating them better than most but 12-15yrs is what should be expected of them.  My father culled his 1979 models in 1998.

chambero

Our Angus cross cows will run 10-12 years on average on native pasture in north central Texas.  I currently have several 1995 models that are just about out of gas.  Probably run them one more year just because we are understocked on cows right now.  Teeth are the first things to go in our country and then we watch them real hard for their first calf that doesn't look to be getting enough milk in the winter from them.

CAB

Longhorns are know to be able to get long in the tooth. Cows that come out of the good old sandhills will be short in the tooth @ 7-9 years old.

LN

I think it totally depends on environment in regards to which breed has the most longevity. I am in south Texas and by far my Simbrah cows outproduce and outlive my Simangus. We also have a few halfblood Braunvieh's that have outlived the SimAngus.

It's all about matching your cattle to your environment. That's why we're phasing out the SimAngus.

Rocky Hill Simmental

Crossbreds live longer than purebreds and fullbloods. The more genetically diverse the 2 breeds being crossed are, the greater the longevity. So it makes sense these Santa Gertudius cattle are living so long because they come from shorthorns and brahmans, which are not closely related. A good environment helps too.

justme

We lost our old Queenie last year at 16.5 years old.  She was a PB maine

Latest posts