Looking for a Clubby Bull that will increase frame size and create great fronts

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

kanshow said:
Anyone else notice a scary trend here, if you ask for a clubby bull to downsize there are unlimited choices, doesn't seem to be much on the other end.
  I think this is exactly why we keep semen in the tank on those old bulls.   You never know when we'll need to go back.   

I agree.  Look at the Angus breed.  Breeder's still keep going back to 6807,  EXT and others.

SEA

OH said:
I think that Hannibal will do the things that you are asking. If your cows are smooth shouldered I would also recommend Hired Man. I know he has a terrible set of front shoulders on him, but most of his calves that I have seen don't show this. Might also try Manchild if your cows are good on their feet and pasterns.

I have used Hannibal and Manchild and have had pretty good results. This year I am trying Golden Child on a cow that has thrown a little small with Heatseeker and Direct Hit. Our Shockwaves have added a little frame as well.

In our experience Dr. Who and Get It Done will add frame, but the fronts might not be that good. Get It Dones haven't been our soundest creatures either.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I need to go back and try Hannibal again.  But I know he is dead and for some reason I thought semen was hard to get or gone way up in price.  Since reading these posts I checked out semen and found it available at Top Sires for $22/unit.  He is now back on my short list.  Thanks,

Also, do Full Flush calves really have much good hair?

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Personally I think you have some real good posts on what you are asking for , I'm no athourity on these show cattle ,can't type as most of you proably have noticed ,  one of my friends told me that when you print capital letters all the way on a sentence meant that you are placing alot of emphasis on a topic, for me I just for got to change it . Back to the subject , Hannibal name comes up when ever this question is asked so I think he is a very reliable choice, I have asked some people that are pretty good show people an his name sure comes up, I haven't used him yet ,  I have used Friction an most of the calves I have gotton  tell me that you sure need a real soggy cow like your talking an in most instances  adds frame to the calves an keeps them clean up front in most calves.  Take a look at his picture , he kinda looks like to me that  the kinda cow you are talking about would be just right . I know nothing about his son's , would like to thank __rtmcc for the compliment on the smokies , we do have a Friction Smokey that might fit what you are looking for , we call him SmokeBomb an we think he might even be a good heifer bull.  That is one other good quality that Friction has had for me is that no calving problems at all with him, he might run over even an still have no problems . Here is a picture of the SmokeBomb bull, there is a video on him on my web site. One concern about the Friction bull is that he has some problems with his fertility , some of the semen Ihave used was real good an some wasn't , an the price of it now might influence you to a son..  The SmokeBomb bull was collecting the first time an seems to be getting along great an was over 40 cm scrotal at the Classic . He was a fall yearling  at the show an didn't have much hair , but had some very good interest an was said to be the best walking Key bull there . Hope that everyones comments will help you in your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_3456 copy.jpg
    IMG_3456 copy.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 200

VJ

My Sunseekers have always had plenty of grow, hair, and muscle. Another real good bull is Hairy Bear. He has an awesome long front and his calves are hairy and grow well.

justme

Full Flush calves maybe hairy but dang were there attitudes crappy.  I never met a Full Flush that had a good demeanor.  We had 5 of them and they were all way to short for my taste

OH Breeder

Calberta Black Impact Rocket fronted larger framed long bodied
Sin City come little big, hairy great fronts not a ton of power but on the right cow might be okay. Has up sized ours a frame score.
Swartzkophf from what I understand was pretty moderate and would probably take them up a frame score
Sugar Ray OUCh on tempermant but should clean up fronts may not work on terribley up sizing them, other chi folks would know better
My neighbors Ali and Who calves were always larger framed and were never small. I am guessing it is all in the cow you breed too.

Wiley

For frame and Eye appeal you can't go wrong with flush showed some of them while i was in high school mine were never any worse than my heat waves and whos....if you dont want to spend fifty bucks on the real deal i belive you can get clone semen pretty cheap on him

SEA

Anyone have any experience with either "Hide N Watch" or "Lifeline"  Lautner's older proven bulls.

GONEWEST

Easiest question ever asked. Hannibal, if you breed him right, the most consistent calves a crossbred bull can have. Another option with a different sire than Hannibal might be Golden Child. Purebred Maines I think DL was absolutely right with Black Impact.

SEA

Dave said:
Mossy Oak or Hannibal

I've used Mossy Oak and he does stamp a front end on a calf about as good as any bull I know.  However, he has always "downsized for me".  I think Mossy Oak is a small frame bull.  IMO

SEA

rtmcc said:
If your interested in making some smokie calves there are a few options.  Many of the Charolais bulls will add some grow and frame and give you good hair with great fronts.  A pure bred bull we have an interest in has done a great job of giving the calves some grow with great fronts and hair.  He is RCC Cold Front.  You can check him out at   www.redalencattleco.com    He is available thru Cattle Visions.  We have some pictures on our site at  www.rtmcattleco.com  under the "COLD FRONT CALVES" page you can check out.

Freddy on here has some great looking Charolais cross bulls out.  You can check them out at http://www.fredranch.com/

Those smokie females will usually make great replacement heifers if you don't show them.

I live in the Midwest and we do not have a market for "Smokies".  Although personally, I like them.

SEA

VJ said:
My Sunseekers have always had plenty of grow, hair, and muscle. Another real good bull is Hairy Bear. He has an awesome long front and his calves are hairy and grow well.

I have used Sunseeker in the past and love his calves.  However, I have also seen him two different years standing at stud and he is just average fronted.  IMO and other club calf breeders that I know, you need to use him on "good fronted" cows.

Once again just IMO

Thanks for your reply,

SEA

This has been a GREAT post.  I sure have appreciated everyone's thoughts and messages.  The ideas expressed have been very thought provoking.  Excellent!

I am going to order semen this week.

Right now the bulls that seem to be in the lead for "Best Clubby Bull to use that will increase frame size, add hair, create great fronts and is black or red", I have added a couple prerequisites after all these posts, that will work, in most named and respected order are...

1.)  HANNIBAL

2.)  FULL FLUSH

2.)  CALBERTA BLACK IMPACT (although Maine not really clubby)

Waithing on thoughts on Lifeline, and if we are including Maine's, how about Tyson?

ohio_clubby

there was a pure maine bull at the obe on gentic pathway that had a clubby look and he had good size was a western union x strickly business / cunia he is the widest bull i've seen in years don't know who carries him but have a business card from one of the owners

TMJ Show Cattle

Lifeline should help your cause. he will definitely power your calves up. He has sired more "slick sheared" champions in Texas the last 7 or 8 years than any other bull combined.