Looking for a red angus bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Woody

I'm looking to buy semen on a red bull, not interested in the greatest epd bull. I was thinking more along the Northern Improvement type, depth, softness, bone and hair with good style to them. What's your thoughts?

mpinson

Davidsonranch said:
I've read on here a couple people having good luck with Fat Tony??? Maybe something to look at.
I seen a great red angus bull at dan leddy's, red red wine!!!! great one

Warrior10

Davidsonranch said:
I've read on here a couple people having good luck with Fat Tony??? Maybe something to look at.
Yup, Fat Tony seems to fit what you are looking for pretty well!

RedCowsRule

You might try WEBR TC Card Shark 1015.  Jesse Weber had a very nice pen of bulls at NWSS that included a full brother to Card Shark (who Six Mile ended up buying) and a couple of Card Shark sons.  They were Reserve Grand and had a very good showing out there.  At least one of those bulls went on to be a part of the Grand and Reserve Bulls that Jesse then exhibited and sold (very well) at the Black Hills Stock Show. 

We have two sons that we raised that are pretty nice as well.  One is at the central bull test here in Indiana and has been gaining 5 lbs a day and is doing pretty well through the first half of the test there and a flush mate to him that we have kept at home was Reserve in his division at Louisville.

What I have seen out of those bulls, he adds some power and they are stout boned.  The two I have are really soft sided and stout and should make really nice females. 

Cattle Visions carries him.  I bought a package on him when he first came out and we have been pretty happy with our calves out of him so far.  Having our second calf crop out of him now and they are pretty stout and hairy, even as babies.

Mill Iron A

I have not seen the card shark cattle but I would believe they would work as well as TJS berry cherry

Woody

I appreciate the replies. I don't know how much knowledge you have on the simmentals, I'm looking for a bull that would breed similar to Dream On.

Red Cow Relocators

Sorry I miss read your post last night when I got home late from a sale. We have started a semen sale business that specializes in Red Angus bulls only. You can view the sire directory on line at www.redcowrelocators.com on the Private Stock Semen Sales page. RCR

BTDT

I have seen thousand of bulls come and go.  The hype dies away and so does the bull.
Card Shark will make up clubby. Small framed, early maturing, small, small, small. Same goes for Hamley. Nothing like Dream On.

Trueblood, Fat Tony will fit the bill, so will Jackhammer. The Six Mile program from Canada also has a program that will breed like Dream On or TC Freedom. Can't name certain bulls from them but google them and you will understand!

I have been around and underground for many, many years, and have made pretty good observations without having strings of money attached (no commission being paid, no butt kissing), so if you want some opinions just let me know. I pretty much lay it on straight.  I don't play the game so I tend not to care who I upset.

hevmando

Anybody know anything about Sun King, Hard Drive, or Brown Heritage?  My son won 2 straws from Select Sires and looking at Red Angus bulls from them.

Mill Iron A

I'm sorry I wasn't going to say anything but I flat do not care for the fat tony cattle. Narrow, round, sheathy. Just don't like them. As far as select  sires goes most of the bulls you named are unproven but I would highly consider sun king if I were you. really nice cattle and performance oriented.

cowman 52

I've got 3 fat Tony calves,  your description may be right there but it aint that way here, 1spoken for for a steer, the other I'm keeping for a bull, may have a bit too much gas in the tank for some, 3rdnis a heifer out of super visions full sister, 10 days old so am waiting a little before I have a solid opinion.

Woody

I have mostly 5 to 6 frame cows, and I want to keep it that way. I want calves that can show and feed easily. I know it's a fine line between the two but I think there has to be a bull out there that can do it.

squirt71

Mill Iron A said:
I'm sorry I wasn't going to say anything but I flat do not care for the fat tony cattle. Narrow, round, sheathy. Just don't like them. As far as select  sires goes most of the bulls you named are unproven but I would highly consider sun king if I were you. really nice cattle and performance oriented.

I'd be a little careful with Sun King.  We AI'd a bunch of cows to him this year, and every single one of them have been over 95 lbs most inching towards the 110 lb range, and this is on purebred RA females.  The BW is not coming from the cows either, they've all averaged 80 lbs in the past.  Just something to keep in mind if the cows you're looking to breed are high BW.

Mill Iron A

Wow being out of a major league daughter I had my doubts that they would he shaped calving  ease but I didn't think he would have that much bw. I've seen the bull and dome progeny and for a select sires red angus bull they aren't bad looking, sorry to hear about that and I hope you can move some of those bulls under 100 anyway

squirt71

Mill Iron A said:
Wow being out of a major league daughter I had my doubts that they would he shaped calving  ease but I didn't think he would have that much bw. I've seen the bull and dome progeny and for a select sires red angus bull they aren't bad looking, sorry to hear about that and I hope you can move some of those bulls under 100 anyway

We were pretty excited about him and thought he'd match up well on our cows.  The calves look great even at this young stage - they're really stout, but it was kind of a bummer that they came out so big.  We have a few left to calve out of some even lower BW females, maybe those won't be so big.

As far as Fat Tony - we've had several calves out of him in the past few years, and there's been a big variation on the type of calves he throws (flush mates or not).  All are long bodied and thick.  Some are round and lack the amount of depth and muscle, others are ideal.  We found with Fat Tony that the cows that look like the "Canadian" Red Angus type, the big bodied, super deep, easy fleshing type, have the best calves when mated with him, and are calves we keep for replacement heifers.  Those calves maintain the deep bodies, and are square in the hip, and get that flashy "show calf" look.

Pipeliner

There's a bunch of good Red Bulls out there. It's just like any other breed. You can't breed one bull to every type, style and shape of cow in all different parts of the country and in some cases the world and expect all the calves to come out, all looking the same, and all being knock outs. I think people tend to forget more often then not, the cow has as much to do with it as the bull. She does raise the calf and the genetic make-up is half.
    Thanks, squirt and muddy creek and who ever else has spent there money and bought semen from Fat Tony or any other Northline bull. It means alot that people from all over put trust in our program. I well agree with Squirt in saying that he does work better on cows with some middle. He'll add bone, top, width and that "cool" factor to your show calves with the darker color and loads of hair. If a person is looking for more middle and sogginess to add to there herd there's other bulls for that. Some in our herd that we've raised and others we've seen through out the country.
    Mill Iron........I'm not into running other bulls in the bred down to promote my own, (or one that I like) in a public forum. There's cattle out there for every part of the world to suit every kind of cattleman and herd.
    The more a bull gets used the greater varity of offspring, due to the greater varity of cow herds he's bred into.  You can't control what type of cow herd a bull gets breed into. There is variances in every bull used. If you like him you'll focus on every champion he sired. If you don't like him you'll focus on everyone that went for hamburger.
      We've always let our cattle speak for themselves and well continue too. Fat Tony well bred bone, top, and style with a bonus of that dark cherry red color and lots of hair.
    The cattle business is a great one to be in with room for all kinds.

Sassy2899

I think Ter Ron Fully Loaded 540R, WEBR TC Card Shark, Bieber Hard Drive Y120, GMRA Peacemaker 1216, HXC Brute Force 6600S ( his pedigree goes back to Beckton Julian, we have a bull out of him and he is pretty impressive.)  Hope this gives you a start or is even what you are looking for.