Looking for Carrier Free COLORED AI Sire

Help Support Steer Planet:

5PCC

Looking for red (possibly white or red and white) AI sire for my small framed, super thick BIM heifer. Dam is Irish Whiskey X Charolais. Would like to add a little femininity and size. I want a calving ease bull that is clean on the genetic testing. Heifer is from a carrier bull and has not been tested herself. She is smoke colored.

5PCC

Yeah, I've already asked about a Shorthorn but then I started to second guess myself. Maybe I will stick with that.

KSanburg

Churchill Sensation 028X  or  PHH PCC 812 True Grit 002, I have used True Grit the last 2 year and they come easy and a friend used 028X last year and they came easy and look good.

OH Breeder

Have you tested your female do you know if she is PH free?
You have a female that is out of a composite bull and a cow that is maine char. I would choose a bull that is purebred to try to get some consistent bw. When you use composite on composite they aren't predictable at times. I would find a good Char calving ease, Maine calving ease (Ali, Major MOney, there's more) and I am a Shorthorn guy. There are some good Shorthorn calving ease sires that have been tested for everything. Red Angus would be an excellent option too. IF your female is composite and you breed her composite color is going to be roll dice. You have some color in your female that may be expressed by using a purebred bull.

Bradenh

True statement about the purebred consistency deal posted before that's very good advice that I would say you should follow

However if you are stuck on composite why not try rapid rewards? I was just telling my dad I wish I had a pasture full of jicked up clubby dirty heifers so I could breed them all to him!

5PCC

I'm not stuck on composite at all, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to go Charolais either. My original thought was to go Shorthorn but Maine would be ok too.I'm a little afraid to go Charolais because she is pretty small.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Got a WMW X WYOMING WIND son for sale ,half interest, small birth ,great disposition and great maternal pedigree ....Charolais will not give you birth problems if you use right breeding ,also great disposition ...Use to take crap about their disposition from friends of mind in the Angus, they are very quite lately, they know I won't take their c--- any more ....

hntwhitetail

You could always go jersey for her first calf.  Calves come small and you can see if she milks.

OH Breeder

5PCC said:
I'm not stuck on composite at all, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to go Charolais either. My original thought was to go Shorthorn but Maine would be ok too.I'm a little afraid to go Charolais because she is pretty small.

your females genetic status PH or TH?

OH Breeder

5PCC said:
I haven't tested her yet to see about genetic disease possibility.

With all the "new" defects out there. It will make a big difference when selecting bulls. Safe to know the status of your female so you can plan matings.