Looking for feedback on Simmental sire GW Lucky One 686K

Help Support Steer Planet:

SHCC

I Am looking for some carcas info on steers that have been harvested by luck one, mainly actual marbling results. I have a good herd of PB angus cows that ive been very pleased with but I am considering using this simmental bull for a little heterosis. I see he ranks in the top 1% of the simmental breed for marbling EPD I just have no idea how that would compare relative to Angus on all breeds overall. I think it would make a nice cross but I want to make sure by using him im not taking a step backwards as far as marbling.

LN

I looked him up in the Simmental sire summary and his marbling EPD is incredible. I don't think he would hurt your marbling scores.

If you want information on how his progeny perform, contact the owners, or maybe Marty Ropp at the American Simmental Association because it looks like this bull was enrolled in their carcass merit program.

SHCC

Thanks for the reply, I had been looking @  him because he has the highest marbling EPD and accuracy in the simmi breed. Im just not sure how the highest marbling EPD in the simmi breed would compare to Angus. Could the the top mrb sire in the simmi breed be similair to an angus in the lower 50% of the angus breed or would in be comparable to a decent marbling angus sire say in the top 10% ??

LN

I'm not 100% sure, but some popular Angus AI sires are in the Simmental database as foundation sires and their EPDs are converted to Simmental #s, (I think). You could compare them that way.

Go to www.simmental.org and click on the data/animal search tab and then click on animal search. You can search Angus and Simmental bulls by name and compare.