Lowering cattle's internal body temp

Help Support Steer Planet:

barngoddess

What are some natural minerals/additives that will lower cattle's internal
Body temperatures? I've heard seaweed does it-- will adding a 500mg seaweed pill with their feed everyday help?

Thanks

Mill Iron A

The best on the market is ThermalCare through ADM.  It is in their specialty products and can also be found with any Loomix rep in your area.  Lots of documentation on it, will lower body temp by .5 degrees I believe.  Whats great about it is it also helps boost the immune system in several ways.  High quality product and I'm sure you can find an easy form to feed it.

shortyjock89

Powdered kelp meal is the most cost effective product, and it delivers. We got a 50lb bag from the co-op for 47 dollars.

garett

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Powdered kelp meal is the most cost effective product, and it delivers. We got a 50lb bag from the co-op for 47 dollars.

How much of that are you guys feeding a day?!

shortyjock89

2oz/calf per day. 1oz per feeding. It's kind of hard to over feed it, but it becomes redundant at a point. It has just a pile of good nutrients in it aside from helping lower body temp.  It also doesn't mess with their hair cycle like a melatonin-based supplement will.

Tallcool1

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
2oz/calf per day. 1oz per feeding. It's kind of hard to over feed it, but it becomes redundant at a point. It has just a pile of good nutrients in it aside from helping lower body temp.  It also doesn't mess with their hair cycle like a melatonin-based supplement will.

What do you mean when you say "mess with the hair cycle"?

shortyjock89

If fed or implanted for hair growth, melatonin gives you a very specific window in which you can expect a peak in hair growth, a holding period, and then a shuck. It's usually 90-110 to reach peak, and 120-140 days until you see the shucking start. Sometimes they won't shuck hard, but if you're relying on melatonin to get hair, they probably will. If you start feeding it after your calf is growing new hair, it can also make them shuck it and start a new hair cycle. It's a very useful product in specific applications, but I would be hesitant to use it on an animal that I want to target for multiple shows, such as a jr national and style fair, or state fair and a fall or winter major.

Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that obviously has a lot to do with hair growth. When you feed or implant it, the animal utilizes the extra the only way it knows how : more hair. The kelp is a little more subtle. Instead of an overload of one thing, it delivers a wide array of nutrients, some of which slow the heart rate and otherwise help with heat stress. It's not that the kelp magically makes hair grow, it just helps the calf get theist out of its environment. Tasco is derived from kelp. Feedlots have fed it for decades to assist with heat stress.

firesweepranch

Mill Iron A said:
The best on the market is ThermalCare through ADM.  It is in their specialty products and can also be found with any Loomix rep in your area.  Lots of documentation on it, will lower body temp by .5 degrees I believe.  Whats great about it is it also helps boost the immune system in several ways.  High quality product and I'm sure you can find an easy form to feed it.
Is the product you feed just the ThermalCare, or is the ThermalCare added to something you feed? I had an ADM rep out here yesterday, and he was talking about the mineral (Fescue Buster) that has Thermal Care in it, along with Fire Extinguisher which is a feed additive you top dress that does the same thing. He was going to check in if they sell just the ThermalCare alone, so I can add it to my current mineral program and top dress if I want. Just wondering what specifically you feed?

Mill Iron A

Its best as an additive into a mineral program, In my case it would be through liquid feed and it is added at the plant. If you are looking at doing it in your show string I would go the Fire Extinquisher route but if you were doing several I would look at liquid.  I know they can sell it direct to mix with you mineral just press your rep a little harder.

mocharolais

Any adverse effects to doing this?  Is more effective to lower body temp through a cooling room?

shortyjock89

No adverse effect from kelp meal or tasco. You have to think of these things like another tool. A brush is great, but it works best with a hose, blower, and fans. All of these are to help you grow hair, but none of them is a magic product that does the work for you.

Latest posts