Lowline Angus TCCA Show Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

FJLranch

Is anyone interested in showing Lowline Angus Heifers in TCCA. Please let me know what your thoughts are. I have been selling a lot of heifers to people who say they will be showing them in their county fairs and some major shows in Texas. I would be very interested in posting your show pictures on my website at flyingjlranch.com

TJ

(welcome)

Not interested in showing Lowline heifers in Texas, but I am very interested in selling Lowline genetics to Texas to be shown & in promoting Lowline Angus, as show cattle,  in Texas & the whole USA for that matter!   ;)

In fact, Cross Creek Ranch & J&K Livestock are now offering a "Doc Holliday" incentive program.  Any JR exhibitor who shows a registered (with the ALR) Doc Holliday offspring will receive $100 for each Grand Championship & $50 for each Res. Grand Championship (up to 3 wins total).  We also will give the JR exhibitor that we decide has the most impressive show record displaying an offspring of Doc Holliday (each year) & we will pay an additional $250 for that.  The animal doesn't have to be purchased from us, just sired by Doc Holliday & registered with the ALR.  An official winning picture (for our use) & a copy of the ALR registration is required to collect.  We will post all of the winners on our websites and probably will mention them in at least 1 add. 

The first 2 fullblood Doc Holliday heifers born at J&K Livestock won Res. Heifer Calf Champion @ Kansas City (Beat the 2009 Res. National Champion Female in class!!) & the other was the Reserve Grand Champion (behind the 2009 National Champion Female).  This year, I'm hearing that several really good Doc Heifers (both fullblood & percentage) are all over the USA.  Take advantage of our incentive program... buy a good one in your area or buy some Doc semen & raise your own good one.  Only $20 per straw... that's a big time profit making proposition.  ;)      

Attachments

• Naile RES Champ Fullblood Female.jpg
    Naile RES Champ Fullblood Female.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 412

FJLranch

TJ, send me the information on the heifers you have for sale via our website:

www.flyingjlranch.com

Larry and I are the ones handling the database for SLABA and the contact source for Lowlines in TCCA.  We are committed to selling those heifers first from members of SLABA.  I'm not sure without going to the website if your an associate member.  You may be and then you would be included in the commitment to SLABA members first.  Our commitment overall though is to make sure a child finds the right show heifer.  We are committed to the youth of Texas.

Your incentive plan is fantastic.  Larry and I have been talking of an incentive plan since we started with Lowlines.  We just haven't finalized it yet.  We do know we want to host a drive up show every year for the youth of Texas.  This is probably two to three years down the road for the drive up show.

One final suggestion to advertise your show heifers and semen is to go to The Showbox website.  http://www.theshowbox.com/
Don't hesitate to contact them with your advertising needs.  Remember in order for Lowline Angus to be shown in TCCA/TJLA shows they must be at least 3/4 blood or higher and are shown in one division.  Yes, they are shown with the Fullbloods.  In the future if there is a high enough interest in showing of Fullbloods they will be given their own division.  So you'll have to adjust your advertising to this information.

On a side note we have used some Doc Holliday semen this past fall.  We are about to palpate so we know how many calves we might be expecting from him.

Kim

TJ

FJLranch said:
TJ, send me the information on the heifers you have for sale via our website:

www.flyingjlranch.com

Larry and I are the ones handling the database for SLABA and the contact source for Lowlines in TCCA.  We are committed to selling those heifers first from members of SLABA.  I'm not sure without going to the website if your an associate member.  You may be and then you would be included in the commitment to SLABA members first.  Our commitment overall though is to make sure a child finds the right show heifer.  We are committed to the youth of Texas.

Your incentive plan is fantastic.  Larry and I have been talking of an incentive plan since we started with Lowlines.  We just haven't finalized it yet.  We do know we want to host a drive up show every year for the youth of Texas.  This is probably two to three years down the road for the drive up show.

One final suggestion to advertise your show heifers and semen is to go to The Showbox website.  http://www.theshowbox.com/
Don't hesitate to contact them with your advertising needs.  Remember in order for Lowline Angus to be shown in TCCA/TJLA shows they must be at least 3/4 blood or higher and are shown in one division.  Yes, they are shown with the Fullbloods.  In the future if there is a high enough interest in showing of Fullbloods they will be given their own division.  So you'll have to adjust your advertising to this information.

On a side note we have used some Doc Holliday semen this past fall.  We are about to palpate so we know how many calves we might be expecting from him.

Kim

Thanks for all the info!

I'm not an associate member, but I probably should be.  I sold 4 fullbloods to Jay Beatty of Belton, TX last year & I get inquiries from Texas, Oklahoma & Arkansas all the time.   

I've been eye balling the Showbox & eventually was planning to advertise.   

I did not know that the heifers had to be 3/4 or higher & that fullbloods show against percentage.  I'm OK with fullbloods showing against percentage.  IMHO, JR exhibitors are going to want to show percentage heifers anyway.  HOWEVER, I must ask, why in the world are 1/2 blood heifers not allowed?  I don't want to sound too critical, but I think that is a really bad idea not allowing them to show for at least a few reasons...

#1) 3/4 bloods probably have absolutely no shot at overall champion 
#2) You are not giving anybody any incentive to use Lowline semen, because 1/2 blood calves can't show.  Advertising semen in the Showbox is less appealing for that exact same reason.
#3) 1/2 bloods are shown at all Lowline Shows & in fact they are typically the higher selling percentage animals. 
#4) Too many people think that Lowline Angus are nothing more than tiny "Mini Angus" & they are too small to be practical or much good for anything.  Good 1/2 bloods are what the skeptics need to see, not the 3/4 & higher percentages. 
#5) Grassfed beef producers want 1/2 bloods for grass fed beef.  A few will go as high as 3/4 bloods.  Why not show the percentage cattle that the grass fed beef people prefer & most non-Lowline people will prefer?   
#6) Everywhere else in the USA, JR's are able to show 1/2 bloods in JR Shows.   

Again, I don't want to be critical, because I think that it is a good thing just getting the breeds foot in the door, but IMHO, not allowing 1/2 blood heifers that was a HUGE mistake.  I really hope that the SLABA or whoever set that up, will rethink that stance.  I think that we would get a whole lot more benefit if the Texas kids could show 1/2 bloods.  No reason to go lower than 1/2, but I think that it should go down to 1/2.       

I think that you will really like those Doc Holliday calves!  That incentive program will apply to your Doc Holliday babies too, so you can use that as a marketing tool when selling them. 

What age heifers will work?  The 3/4 bloods will limit me somewhat, but I've got a few fall & spring borns that should work... 3 of them are outstanding. One is a full sib to the Reserve Grand Champion JR Owned Female at the NAILE & this calf is better & thicker, but she's a spring 09 calf.

TJ     

FJLranch

TJ,

All of your arguments as to why 1/2 bloods should be shown are valid.  SLABA was not given a choice to have two divisions as we do in sanctioned Lowline shows.  Lowlines were set up just like all of the other breeds.  Two divisions as I stated before will be considered should the number of exhibitors warrant and want to have the divisions set up like our open shows.

1/2 bloods can be shown in ORB (Other Registered Breeds) in the heifer divison.  Our ranch's half bloods qualify to be shown in Star Five division.  1/2 blood steers can be shown in American Breeds and Crosses or All Other Breeds.

The age of heifers is as determined by the Houston Livestock Show Junior Heifer Show.

The links to both the 2008-2009 TJLA By-Laws and HLSR Junior Heifer Show are below.  The 2009-2010 By-laws showing current changes for TJLA are not up on the website as of yet.  But I encourage you to read the By-Laws.  I imagine the new By-laws will be up shortly.

http://www.theshowbox.com/downloads/forms/TJLABy-Laws2008-20091.pdf

http://www.hlsr.com/ag/ls/handbook/HeiferJR.pdf

As for the 3/4 bloods not winning breed champion, SLABA did request that size was not to be a consideration on the judging of the heifers.  The rest of the breed standard was to be followed.  I believe the judges in Texas will give equal consideration to the 3/4 bloods.

We walked into the ring with our Lowlines in 2007 Brazoria County Fair, the judge asked our daughter what breed they were.  The breed is so new to Texas from the standpoint of being shown, the judges are just beginning to learn about them.  Lowlines as you know have only been shown at Houston Livestock Show for two years.  SLABA is receiving requests for Lowlines to be shown at the other two majors, Heart of Texas and Star of Texas.  We were very pleased with this year's judge, Brant Poe.  From his comments he did his homework on the Lowlines.  His comments during the Grand Champion Bull class was very positive towards the Lowlines as a breed.  To paraphrase him, the Lowlines have a bright future and real place in the beef industry as a whole in the United States.  This was so nice to hear.  He was very curious about our red 1/2 blood in wanting to know her cross as she was the only American Cross Lowline.  She is registered as a Star Five and as a 1/2 blood Lowline.  Brant Poe is a respected Angus and Brangus judge.

We have been working very hard to introduce the Lowlines outside of Organic and Grass Fed beef programs.  Our family believes that Lowlines really do fit into all areas of the beef industry.  This makes us THE MOST UNIQUE BEEF BREED in the US.

Kim

TJ

FJLranch said:
TJ,

All of your arguments as to why 1/2 bloods should be shown are valid.  SLABA was not given a choice to have two divisions as we do in sanctioned Lowline shows.  Lowlines were set up just like all of the other breeds.  Two divisions as I stated before will be considered should the number of exhibitors warrant and want to have the divisions set up like our open shows.

1/2 bloods can be shown in ORB (Other Registered Breeds) in the heifer divison.  Our ranch's half bloods qualify to be shown in Star Five division.  1/2 blood steers can be shown in American Breeds and Crosses or All Other Breeds.

The age of heifers is as determined by the Houston Livestock Show Junior Heifer Show.

The links to both the 2008-2009 TJLA By-Laws and HLSR Junior Heifer Show are below.  The 2009-2010 By-laws showing current changes for TJLA are not up on the website as of yet.  But I encourage you to read the By-Laws.  I imagine the new By-laws will be up shortly.

http://www.theshowbox.com/downloads/forms/TJLABy-Laws2008-20091.pdf

http://www.hlsr.com/ag/ls/handbook/HeiferJR.pdf

As for the 3/4 bloods not winning breed champion, SLABA did request that size was not to be a consideration on the judging of the heifers.  The rest of the breed standard was to be followed.  I believe the judges in Texas will give equal consideration to the 3/4 bloods.

We walked into the ring with our Lowlines in 2007 Brazoria County Fair, the judge asked our daughter what breed they were.  The breed is so new to Texas from the standpoint of being shown, the judges are just beginning to learn about them.  Lowlines as you know have only been shown at Houston Livestock Show for two years.  SLABA is receiving requests for Lowlines to be shown at the other two majors, Heart of Texas and Star of Texas.  We were very pleased with this year's judge, Brant Poe.  From his comments he did his homework on the Lowlines.  His comments during the Grand Champion Bull class was very positive towards the Lowlines as a breed.  To paraphrase him, the Lowlines have a bright future and real place in the beef industry as a whole in the United States.  This was so nice to hear.  He was very curious about our red 1/2 blood in wanting to know her cross as she was the only American Cross Lowline.  She is registered as a Star Five and as a 1/2 blood Lowline.  Brant Poe is a respected Angus and Brangus judge.

We have been working very hard to introduce the Lowlines outside of Organic and Grass Fed beef programs.  Our family believes that Lowlines really do fit into all areas of the beef industry.  This makes us THE MOST UNIQUE BEEF BREED in the US.

Kim

Kim,

I can already tell from your limited posts that you are the type of breeder that will be good for the Lowline breed in Texas!  I really appreciate all that you & the SLABA have done!  Also, I am glad to see you posting on SP!  Hopefully, the ELAA will do our part here in the east.   

As I mentioned, I didn't want to be too critical, because it's a huge step in the right direction!  While it would've been a lot better with 1/2 bloods, it's not the end of the world & if the SLABA was not given a choice, nothing could be done anyway.  But, it's good that 1/2 bloods can be shown, even if it's only in the AOB classes. 

I like the way you think & I appreciate your dedication to the Lowline breed!  Sounds like good things are going to happen in Texas!

TJ

FJLranch

TJ,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  We really believe in the Lowlines.  I currently serve as Secretary of SLABA.  Lynn serves as Chairman of the Show Committee and Larry is also a member of the committee.  I like you am very passionate about our breed as is the rest of the family.  We also have Santa Gertrudis and we are passionate about them as well.  We are the first ranch to produce this Star Five cross.  The Star Five cross of Lowline/Santa Gertrudis as exceeded our expectations.  We are getting terrific weaning weights.  All have either actual and/or ADJ weights over 500 lbs.  Our Star Five heifers are maturing to be bred at 15 months.  And calving ease for the Santa Gertrudis heifers is wonderful.  The heifers are up without even looking like they had a calf.  Our Star Five calves are weighing  52-60 lb at birth.  The heifers are breeding back as soon as a bull goes back on them.  One can't ask for a more ideal situation when using Lowlines on our larger cattle.  Commercial producers who decided on Lowlines did so because of calving problems on heifers and all have reported not having to pull a single calf. They are also reporting back they are receiving similar results we have had regardless of the genetics of the heifers being bred. One producer who contacted us about Lowlines was able to contract his steers at $1.29 a lb on last year's calves and will be receiving the data back once they go through the feedlot.  They should either be in the feedlot now or entering the feedlot shortly.  I look forward to seeing what data he gets on them.  This couple has a closed female herd for the last 13 years with Maine/Angus cross utilizing Gardner Angus Bulls up until last year when he used Fullblood Lowline Bulls on his retained heifers.  He was so impressed with the results of these calves he joined SLABA.  Word of mouth will propel the Lowlines forward in Texas.  We indeed have a bright future.

I assure you I was not taking your points personally and I didn't take them as critical as they truly were all valid points.  The only other breed accepted by TJLA having two divisions is the Santa Gertrudis.  The purebreds and Star Five heifers.  SLABA will work very hard to set up two divisions if the numbers warrant.  It is so exciting to be involved with such a great Points Program.  I love being at the Houston Livestock Show during the Junior Heifer Show.  The TJLA awards banquet is held during this show.  It is so wonderful to see a sea of jackets in Reliant Center after the Banquet.  It's not just the kids showing TCCA.  You'll see the jackets for kids who show pigs, goats and lambs.

Our family's involvement in Agriculture is extensive.  Larry grew up on the family farm and opened his first business at the age of 19.  He has consistently built a number of successful businesses.  I grew up in the Houston area with horses and show steers.  I went on to earn two degrees in Agriculture Economics.  Our children Lynn and James were involved in 4-H and FFA.  Lynn has experience with cattle, horses, pigs and rabbits.  She is currently a senior at Texas A&M Univ. majoring in Agriculture Science.  She student teaches this fall and then will be going on for a Masters.  She is a Aggie Rep, Gamma Phi Beta, and Alpha Zeta (Ag. Honor Society).  We are very proud of her.  Our son, James has experience with cattle, horses, and rabbits and is majoring in Computer Software Design with high interest in Security Systems.  He serves as our IT Tech in our transportation business.  He chose to stay home to go to school and is now transferring to Univ of Houston in the fall.  James' goal is to get a Doctoral Degree.  We are very proud of him.

As parents we believe Lynn's & James' experiences with 4-H and FFA helped them develop into the well rounded young adults they are today.  They understand the value of Agriculture to our country.  We all believe in continuing development of the youth into the well rounded adults of tomorrow because they are the future of Agriculture in our country.  Larry wrote the first post because we WANT TO SHOWCASE THE YOUTH WHO SHOW LOWLINES in Texas.  So if your a parent or TCCA participant please send us your photos.  We'll be building a page on our website to show off your cattle and give recognition to your hard work.

Kim

TJ

FJLranch said:
TJ,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  We really believe in the Lowlines.  I currently serve as Secretary of SLABA.  Lynn serves as Chairman of the Show Committee and Larry is also a member of the committee.  I like you am very passionate about our breed as is the rest of the family.  We also have Santa Gertrudis and we are passionate about them as well.  We are the first ranch to produce this Star Five cross.  The Star Five cross of Lowline/Santa Gertrudis as exceeded our expectations.  We are getting terrific weaning weights.  All have either actual and/or ADJ weights over 500 lbs.  Our Star Five heifers are maturing to be bred at 15 months.  And calving ease for the Santa Gertrudis heifers is wonderful.  The heifers are up without even looking like they had a calf.  Our Star Five calves are weighing  52-60 lb at birth.  The heifers are breeding back as soon as a bull goes back on them.  One can't ask for a more ideal situation when using Lowlines on our larger cattle.  Commercial producers who decided on Lowlines did so because of calving problems on heifers and all have reported not having to pull a single calf. They are also reporting back they are receiving similar results we have had regardless of the genetics of the heifers being bred. One producer who contacted us about Lowlines was able to contract his steers at $1.29 a lb on last year's calves and will be receiving the data back once they go through the feedlot.  They should either be in the feedlot now or entering the feedlot shortly.  I look forward to seeing what data he gets on them.  This couple has a closed female herd for the last 13 years with Maine/Angus cross utilizing Gardner Angus Bulls up until last year when he used Fullblood Lowline Bulls on his retained heifers.  He was so impressed with the results of these calves he joined SLABA.  Word of mouth will propel the Lowlines forward in Texas.  We indeed have a bright future.

I assure you I was not taking your points personally and I didn't take them as critical as they truly were all valid points.  The only other breed accepted by TJLA having two divisions is the Santa Gertrudis.  The purebreds and Star Five heifers.  SLABA will work very hard to set up two divisions if the numbers warrant.  It is so exciting to be involved with such a great Points Program.  I love being at the Houston Livestock Show during the Junior Heifer Show.  The TJLA awards banquet is held during this show.  It is so wonderful to see a sea of jackets in Reliant Center after the Banquet.  It's not just the kids showing TCCA.  You'll see the jackets for kids who show pigs, goats and lambs.

Our family's involvement in Agriculture is extensive.  Larry grew up on the family farm and opened his first business at the age of 19.  He has consistently built a number of successful businesses.  I grew up in the Houston area with horses and show steers.  I went on to earn two degrees in Agriculture Economics.  Our children Lynn and James were involved in 4-H and FFA.  Lynn has experience with cattle, horses, pigs and rabbits.  She is currently a senior at Texas A&M Univ. majoring in Agriculture Science.  She student teaches this fall and then will be going on for a Masters.  She is a Aggie Rep, Gamma Phi Beta, and Alpha Zeta (Ag. Honor Society).  We are very proud of her.  Our son, James has experience with cattle, horses, and rabbits and is majoring in Computer Software Design with high interest in Security Systems.  He serves as our IT Tech in our transportation business.  He chose to stay home to go to school and is now transferring to Univ of Houston in the fall.  James' goal is to get a Doctoral Degree.  We are very proud of him.

As parents we believe Lynn's & James' experiences with 4-H and FFA helped them develop into the well rounded young adults they are today.  They understand the value of Agriculture to our country.  We all believe in continuing development of the youth into the well rounded adults of tomorrow because they are the future of Agriculture in our country.  Larry wrote the first post because we WANT TO SHOWCASE THE YOUTH WHO SHOW LOWLINES in Texas.  So if your a parent or TCCA participant please send us your photos.  We'll be building a page on our website to show off your cattle and give recognition to your hard work.

Kim

"we WANT TO SHOWCASE THE YOUTH WHO SHOW LOWLINES in Texas"   (thumbsup)

Sounds like your family will be/already are really good ambassadors for the Lowline breed.  I'm excited about the breeds potential... but, then again, I can't lie... I can't remember a time when I was not been excited about the breeds potential.    ;D

Latest posts