Lutrick's Black Magic

Help Support Steer Planet:

shufly

How did semen sale go?  Ended up working from 7am until midnight and missed the sale.  Intended to buy but guess I will have to wait until next year.  Great bull and great calves!

LBM

shufly- The sale went well, the semen brought $50-75 a unit. Sounds like you were plenty busy, sorry you missed it. I am glad you liked Lutrick's Black Magic and the calves, thank you!!

CAB- There will not be anymore semen released until next year. I will offer a limited number of packages prior to the spring breeding season. Thank you for your interest!!

LostFarmer

I will say that limiting the semen supply, therefor increasing the price, and thereby increasing the quality of the females he is used on is pretty shrewd marketing.  Think about it how many will dump a 50-70 dollar unit into just a cow?  You will use the better half of the cows and that should make the bull look better as he gets more help from the bottom side.  The better the last calf crop, the better the semen demand, the better the price, the better the cows that he will be put over. 

The other option would be to sell as much as the bull would produce at a low price and build the demand that way. 

Guess it all depends on the owners desired approach and the amount and quality of the semen. 

Nice bull either way. 

BadgerFan

If I had a bull that was honestly good, I'd want him used as much as possible.

hntwhitetail

LostFarmer said:
I will say that limiting the semen supply, therefor increasing the price, and thereby increasing the quality of the females he is used on is pretty shrewd marketing.  Think about it how many will dump a 50-70 dollar unit into just a cow?  You will use the better half of the cows and that should make the bull look better as he gets more help from the bottom side.  The better the last calf crop, the better the semen demand, the better the price, the better the cows that he will be put over. 

The other option would be to sell as much as the bull would produce at a low price and build the demand that way. 

Guess it all depends on the owners desired approach and the amount and quality of the semen. 

Nice bull either way. 

Isn't that what happens to a syndicated bull, like Sooner?  The females are usually always predetermined. 

LostFarmer

The bull gets all the credit and the blame when in reality he is less than 50% of the equation.  (I give the cow more credit as her milking and mothering ability are part of the end result.)

DakotaCow

Im really glad im not the only one thinking this. If the bull is truly good enough to be used on many different types of females then I would say he should be used on as many cows as possible. The price of semen does not determine the quality of bulls, Heatwave was once a 20 dollar bull and now people pay quite a bit more for semen on him, as was meyer 734. The cream will rise to the top. <cowboy>

LBM

I appreciate your opinions.
I would like to invite you to go see Lutrick's Black Magic in person. He is currently located at REI in Stillwater, Ok. The number to REI is 405-377-8037. I agree that maternal genetics are extremely important, that is why I have so much confidence in Lutrick's Black Magic. He is backed by a phenomenal angus cow that I feel is the reason behind his consistency, not to mention the Epinal/Cunia on the bottom side of Eyes on The Money. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression when I posted how much the semen sold for, I was simply replying to a question. I agree that semen prices do not determine the quality of a bull. However, most bulls are promoted before they ever have a calf on the ground. I think when people see positive results it increases their confidence in a bull, thus the increase in semen prices. You are correct that Heat Wave and Meyer(both good bulls) semen prices have increased over time, those bulls have done a great job and produced good calves. People have developed a confidence in those bulls. I have seen Lutrick's Black Magic work on several types and quality levels of cows. If you are ever in the area I would love for you to stop by and take a look through our cow herd, you are welcome any time. There will be more Lutrick's Black Magic calves on the ground this spring, I would like to get your opinion on them. I honestly could not have been more pleased with his first calf crop, and those who saw the calves in person seemed to be impressed as well.  Being located in central NM is one piece to the puzzle as to why I have decided to limit the semen supply on Lutrick's Black Magic. I have extreme confidence in him and his offspring, and after the public's response to his first calf crop, we hope people will come back to us to see those hard to find Lutrick's Black Magic calves. Just a guy trying to earn his place in a very competitive market.

Thanks,
Shane Lutrick