M Lazy heart ranch

Help Support Steer Planet:

vc

Outspoken (Jody) those were the calves the boys showed, we started with commercial Angus, they grade but they sure can't win at our county level (bad case of noa$$atall or as some call it hatcheta$$), the boys worked their way up to better calves with the money they made from the steers and pigs they showed. Learned allot as they went, now they can select, feed, doctor, fit, and show one to win. No big dollars, a good eye and hard work, (Helps when you buy from the same people over and over, they reward hard work as well). We have had calves from Friction, Full Flush (one of my favorite steers),  HeatWave, Unforgiven, Patty O'mally, Invincible, Northern Improvement and the clean up bull, they all fed and they all finished, on time. We picked calves for Fat Steers, not just jackpots, that is the difference.

My dad had a saying about horses that applies to show calves, "except for the purchase price, they all cost the same to care for, so you might as well spend the money and get a good one"

breyfarm

chambero said:
Go try to buy the best 3 month old bull calf ar Schaff, Conneally, Sitz, or any of the other real commercial oriented purebred breeders and see what kind of price they hit you with.
Thats purebred..whats this calf monopoly money?

chambero

redirtroad said:
chambero said:
Go try to buy the best 3 month old bull calf ar Schaff, Conneally, Sitz, or any of the other real commercial oriented purebred breeders and see what kind of price they hit you with.
Thats purebred..whats this calf monopoly money?

The number of people that can make money off a $50,000, 3 month old Angus bull calf is about the same as that can make money off of a $50,000 crossbred bull calf - not many.  I'm not interested in spending that much money on either one of them (and apparently you aren't either), but that doesn't give any us the right to take potshots over the internet at them over it, especially when you've invested no more effort in evaluating a calf than looking at a short internet video.

If he turns out good, whoever bought him will get what they want out of the deal - whether its a winning steer or a bull to sell semen on.  If he doesn't, its neither your problem nor your business.  Quit being mean-spirited.  It doesn't benefit you one bit but it hurts someone you've likely never met or even taken the time to make a phone call to.

breyfarm

I'll agree to half of what your saying. The other half I already explained myself 3 times and am not repeating that i'm not pokin shots at anyone. Have a good day

justme

I'm thinking when you accused them of bidding each others calves up stirred up the hornets nest.  That is attacking the Miller families reputation.  I know the Miller's, heck just spent a week penning across from them.  You will be hard pressed to find nicer people.  I say congrats, I'll admit I wish it was me selling calves like that, but to tarnish there reputation is just wrong.

aj

If you are considering raising defect free cattle an accomplishment I would say it is. If its the ole breed cows to heat wave....half the cows die.....worthless genetics maintained......so frostback can play cowgirl on weekends......I'm less impressed. Was the high price calf in question a Sitz deal?

aj

And ole chambaro still thinks that genetic defect cattle have a place in the beef industry. You need to give this speech at a NCA convention or beef improvement annual meeting.

Limiman12

I don't know that many in the beef industry regard the top end club calf business as "THE BEEF INDUSTRY".      About like watching Toddlers and Tiaras reality show and saying that is how little girls are raised.

A small segment of the same species that though they are similar reflect much on either end.  Like the one guy said on another thread, his cows better not need babysitting, while clubbie guys accept calving probs as part of the deal, and some aren't interstellar unless the calf was cut out.