Maine heifer bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

shooter4

I've got a witch doctor heifer out of an Ali cow that I want to breed to a purebred. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

johnmetzger

You could try Maverick as I've had success with him on heifers. Another thought would be Gucci as he is listed as a 76 bw but I have never personally used him.

DL

shooter4 said:
I've got a witch doctor heifer out of an Ali cow that I want to breed to a purebred. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Maines tend to mature and finish growing later than some breeds so assuming you want a live calf and a functional cow I would consider having her pelvic measured and use that information to make your decision

I raise Maine cattle and I no longer use Maine bulls on my heifers - it is easier on the heifer and easier on the farmer to use proven high accuracy calving ease Red Angus bulls

If you are set on a Maine bull I would use Majors Money Man - call Colleen Majors and ask her about him - I would not (however) use him if your heifer is straight behind

ZNT

Montego Bay has proved himself as a legitimate easy calving sire.  His calves have been averaging in the 60's out of first calf heifers, and 70's out of cows, and the only assist I have heard of is due to a breach calf that was 60#. Several breeders on Steerplanet have used him successfully.  He is a polled purebred Maine out of Tyson and a Hardcore x CTR Success cow.  He had a 74# birthweight, and his full sib sister had a 65# birth weight.  

You can find more info at:  http://www.zntcattle.com/p/montego-bay.html

The first Montego Bay calf sold at auction in the Buck Fall Premier Sale last weekend.  It was a September bull calf at side of a Wisdom first calf heifer.  The pair brought $8750.

shooter4

I really like what I've seen out of Gucci. Strictly speaking on a phenotypic level, I like classic and bazinga. Any thoughts?

CAB

I've been watching HAA Wisdom for the last couple of years and am convinced that he is a good bull and a good choice for use on heifers.

maine_man

I have used TLM Bouncer (75% maine) with success on commercial and purebred heifers. Special Delivery is another bull you should check out.

justme

I'm a Maine breeder and that's all I breed with.  If the heifer isn't to straight on the back legs, I'd use Majors Money Man.  I've used him a lot, and find he's been the most useful reliable heifer bull I've used.  I've sold bulls, heifers, and steers out of him.  I like him so much my herd bull is even out of him.  I'd get semen now due to Money Man is now deceased.  He's been a good bull and on the market for 10-11 years.  Not many bulls can say they have been marketable that many years

Latest posts