Maine Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

ratmama2

My son has a registered Hereford cow, but he wants a black steer, go figure, anyhow, I was thinking of breeding her to Gigolo Joe. Who is a Maine right? If she has a heifer can it be registered as a half Maine. I am not sure of all of the rules in other breed assoc. but I know there is no half registration in the Hereford breed and I don't consider black herefords as a breed, to me they are F1s. I know from reading a lot of posts here about the Shorthorn plus registration and our fair actually had classes for them this year. They weren't shown with the shorthorns, they kinda in my opinion acted like they were dirty cause they weren't pure and the registration papers were a different color. We don't have Maine classes they are shown as AOB. Was just wondering what my options were in case we have a hiefer.

Jill

It would be registered as a Maintainer and in most cases would show as an AOB, but it is a papered calf.

ruhtram

If you show at bigger shows, there probably would be a maintainer class. Its a more popular breed in the show ring.

TJ

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Just make sure that the Maine bull is homo black (I think that Gigolo Joe is, but not sure), otherwise you COULD get a red white face. 

chambero

That's how you get a Hereford show steer  ;)  At least if you use a Maine bull with a red gene!

TJ

Looks like Gigolo Joe may not be what you are necessarily wanting to use after all.  RSC has a homo black, PB Maine bull named Ice Chest that I think would be worth considering.  There are others too, but if you want a black baldy, you'd better make sure that you only use a homozygous black bull.  Otherwise, you might end up with a "Hereford".  ;) 

OH Breeder & chambero are correct... I'd add Simmental to that list too. 

ratmama2

What Simmental would you suggest if we leaned that way and would the hiefer still be registerable ( same with steer, our fair requires registration papers for steers now). I really like the lookes of the Maines with their thickness and lots of hair.