Majestic Lightning

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

For you Red Angus breeders, anyone had any calves out of Majestic Lightning? If so how have they turned out and how big at birth? Do you think he is heifer safe? I have some clubby heifers and a couple of straws of Majestic Lightning that I was thinking of using on them. They are both Maine Paddy Omally heifers that have a good build (bone size) so far. I know red angus are suppose to be one of the easiest calving breeds and I know Majestic Lightning's EPD's for this year is a calving ease of 5 and a -0.4 birth weight, so he should be an average red angus bull for birth weight. Cause if I don't use him on the heifers, I will use Northern Improvement (black angus) but I have a couple straws of him that I thought I could use. Also I don't know how all that coloring stuff with bulls work, with both heifers being all black, what is that chances of the calf being red or black?

Mueller Show Cattle

Yes the top one I think is the one, it is Majestic Lightning 717 SGMR, below is a link of an updated EPD from cattle visions, I have an older catalog from them when he was new which showed a 6 CE and a -0.6  BW so he went down just a touch for this years EPD, so I don't know which one is rite but I do know Cattle Visions updates there EPD's. below is the link. He was the Grand Champion red angus bull at the NWSS in 2009.

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Red%20Angus/MajesticLightning.php

DL

Big M Show Cattle said:
For you Red Angus breeders, anyone had any calves out of Majestic Lightning? If so how have they turned out and how big at birth? Do you think he is heifer safe? I have some clubby heifers and a couple of straws of Majestic Lightning that I was thinking of using on them. They are both Maine Paddy Omally heifers that have a good build (bone size) so far. I know red angus are suppose to be one of the easiest calving breeds and I know Majestic Lightning's EPD's for this year is a calving ease of 5 and a -0.4 birth weight, so he should be an average red angus bull for birth weight. Cause if I don't use him on the heifers, I will use Northern Improvement (black angus) but I have a couple straws of him that I thought I could use. Also I don't know how all that coloring stuff with bulls work, with both heifers being all black, what is that chances of the calf being red or black?

I would not use this bull on heifers, especially clubby heifers (remember the dam contributes to the size, shape,bone and weight of the calf). His EPDs suggest that he is not a calving ease bull although the accuracy of the EPDs is low.

For heifers I use high accuracy (>80%) CE Red Angus bulls - I really like the old bull Buffalo Creek Hobo 1961, but ABS is sold out of him. They do have Oscar, Nebula, Above and Beyond etc. For CE  you want a high positive number and BW a negative number with high accuracy and top 10% of the breed or better. There isn't much better than a heifer having a calf unassisted and that calf gets up and nurses and bounces -

re the numbers - trust the RAAA way over cattle visions or bull barn or whoever - they determine the numbers based on calving reports  - the numbers on the cattle vision site are almost the opposite of the RAAA

Re color -  if you breed to a Red Angus (homozygous red),  if you heifers are homozygous black the calf will be black and carry the red gene (black is dominant; red recessive). If your heifers are heterozygous black (carry both the black and red gene) then there is a 50% chance the calf will be red.

KSanburg

I haven't used any Red Angus but I would consider this bull - Red Northline Fat Tony 605U - to use om my heifers.

Mueller Show Cattle

SD said:
cattle nut said:
Red Towaw Integity 17M - cherry red, hairy, super easy calving and will definitely make show heifers.

Kevin Blair
306-365-7922 cell
I would second that.

I will look into him, I have some Northern Improvement and have used him on clubby heifers with excellent success. I have 5 heifers to breed this coming spring and was going to use Northern Improvement again on some but wanted to try something a little different on a couple, I like those nice red show calves also, so i thought about using red angus. My dad like red calves also and owns a couple of the cows in my heard that he gets to make the breeding choice on and he bought some of the Majestic Lightning last year.

CAB

cattle nut said:
Red Towaw Integity 17M - cherry red, hairy, super easy calving and will definitely make show heifers.

Kevin Blair
306-365-7922 cell

Kevin who is handling the dist. of your bulls south of the border please? Brent C.

cattle nut

CAB said:
cattle nut said:

Kevin Blair
306-365-7922 cell

Kevin who is handling the dist. of your bulls south of the border please? Brent C.
We look after it ourselves. We have Red Towaw Integrity 17M semen stored at Hawkeye. Let me know if you would like some?
Kevin

CAB

cattle nut said:
CAB said:
cattle nut said:

Kevin Blair
306-365-7922 cell

We look after it ourselves. We have Red Towaw Integrity 17M semen stored at Hawkeye. Let me know if you would like some?
Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I'll pm you. Brent C.