Making American Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

WB

If you had some beefmaster females you wanted to breed for the chance at producing American steers for shows in the south, what bull would you use?
I know not all bulls will work on all cows, and this thread would be a lot more useful with pictures and more info... But this is all I have right now, more of a curiosity thing then anything.
Would you use a club calf bull? or something more like half american half clubby just to keep the american influence there?

Bradenh

On a Beefmaster you can use whatever you want and pretty much keep the ear and character. I wish I had a pasture full of them because there's no limits on breeding. You can go as freaky and clubby as you want, best Beefmaster Americans I've seen came out of I am legend, that would include the champion American steer at ft worth worth 2012 and a dang good abc heifer

With a Beefmaster Breed her hardcore clubby to stouten them up and clean her up, you'll have character to burn

skeeter

probably someone with more experience than me has tried this.  I've always thought someone should try a really good Shorthorn bull that's sired some good steers on a red or red and whilte American cow.  Saw one two years ago at Fort Worth.  Roan American, breed characteristics were great, hair just like a Shorthorn, and built square.  He got branded and made the sale.  He was one that made you turn and look 'cause you don't see steers that are built like stout roan Shorthorns and also can class American.  I talked to the guy clipping on that steer and he said he really enjoyed working on him - an American with shorthorn hair and leg hair too.  I don't have eared cows but if I did, I've always thought I'd try this and see what happens. 

rackranch

Sounds like a great idea... Problem is finding a SH with enough power in the hip, stifle, and lower third to offset the Brahman influence.  Its hard to be competitive in the South with a pure bred SH in the steer division for the same reason.

doc-sun

rackranch said:
Sounds like a great idea... Problem is finding a SH with enough power in the hip, stifle, and lower third to offset the Brahman influence.  Its hard to be competitive in the South with a pure bred SH in the steer division for the same reason.
i have a fullblood maine bull i think would work. if there were 30 or 40 good beefmaster cows i might send him to the right partner

RyanChandler

rackranch said:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 355

skeeter

Okay, Ryan, I wanna know, who is that and what's his breeding?  Has he sired some Texas Shorthorn steers - and all of us down here in Texas know what kind of beast it takes to get a brand at Fort Worth - he looks like he could get the job done.  Thanks for info.

And Rack:  you know a lot more about Americans I'm sure than I do, but it seems to me that for Fort Worth, Americans really need good hair and little more square build than say for slick shows, just my opinion.  Do you agree or am I wrong? and understand I haven't been to SA or Houston in four or five years but do not miss FW, so maybe I'm not on track here but the Americans at FW that get branded seem to have really good hair and you can sure see the clubby, square box in them. 

If I had some eared cows, I believe I'd ask Ryan to send me a few straws on that guy and we'd see what happens.

RyanChandler

That's my new herd sire, HC Vanguard 22Z.  I expect a lot of great things out of him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 357

rackranch

Sketter, like all divisions at FW, you have to have a dang near flawless steer to compete with an American.  I'd say the majority of the brands come from Maine influenced bulls on American cross cows.  Even a few really trashy Maines might sneak through.  Hair is very important for obvious reasons and although Milk Man sired the champion a few years ago it seems black steers make up the majority of the brands.  As for the slick majors, I think the Charolais influenced cattle have a better showing. I'm not saying the SH deal wont work. I'm just saying playing the averages it would be harder to find a good sire from the breed.  We show ABC's sired by Maine bulls on Santa Gertrudis cattle so the SH deal would not work for us.

Bradenh

@cattledotcom- did I really just read a discussion about putting shorthorn bulls on Beefmaster cows to produce abc show steers?

Made my day, yes Jeff you did!

RyanChandler

The ABCs at Houston looked to show 3/8 to a half Brahman to me. True, I didn't see them all but with the amt of Brahman characteristics expressed in the ones I did see, I can't imagine an animal with no Brahman influence classifying / being able to compete in that class.

You'll be hard pressed to find any Maine bull -purebred or otherwise- with even close to the amount of capacity Vanguard carries. Now I'm no steer jock, but while watching the ft worth show this year, I think it was fairly obvious how much emphasis was being placed on that deep, low set that I feel Vanguard so greatly exhibits.  He also has more than enough bone and hair like a muskox.

Being that Gerts are already 3/8 Shorthorn, I see no reason why Shorthorns shouldnt wrk back over them perfectly.

rackranch

Gerts are actually 5/8 Shorthorn and yes, I think if someone was gonna try a shorty he looks like he would be one to try.  I hope someone takes you up on that.

RyanChandler

rackranch said:
Gerts are actually 5/8 Shorthorn and yes, I think if someone was gonna try a shorty he looks like he would be one to try.  I hope someone takes you up on that.

Thanks  :eek: typo  Though some ive seen lately do look more like 3/8ths  ;)

-XBAR- said:
rackranch said:

Funny,  I could say that about a lot of shorthorns too!  (lol) 

I cross Durham Reds with Gerts and have liked some of the results, still playing with it to find exactly what I am looking for but getting closer all the time.  Personally I call the cross an American Durham. 

RyanChandler

MissouriMeadows said:
-XBAR- said:
rackranch said:

Funny,  I could say that about a lot of shorthorns too!  (lol) 

I cross Durham Reds with Gerts and have liked some of the results, still playing with it to find exactly what I am looking for but getting closer all the time.  Personally I call the cross an American Durham.
show me a reg shorthorn that looks to have Brahman influence. It's no secret what type of outfit bought the high seller at Jungles' sale.

I wouldn't mind putting this guy back over some shorthorn cows-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 219
Never said anything about brahman.  Said they were 3/8 shorty. 
<beer>

Foreign blood influence is in every breed, but honestly, I think with most American breeds, the foreign influence has come from british or continental breeds, not brahman. 

rackranch

Can you tell an American breed that doesn't have Brahman influence? 

And your right, the ''Foreign'' influence does come from those breeds because Americans aren't foreign.  Unless you count Mexico back when it was Texas.

MissouriMeadows said:
Never said anything about brahman.  Said they were 3/8 shorty. 
<beer>

Foreign blood influence is in every breed, but honestly, I think with most American breeds, the foreign influence has come from british or continental breeds, not brahman.