Malpractice? Advice- Calving loss. .....nightmare

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj

Baling wire can work as a suture also in a pinch. I saw it done once in one of those three day blizzard deals.

MCC

I do not have an issue with a vet NOT wanting to respond to middle of the night calls. BUT don't be on call.( OH BREEDER quote)

Personally, I do have a problem with this. It's like wanting to be a fireman but only fighting fires 8am to 5 pm. This brings me to another pet peeve. "After hour" charges. I can't control when a heifer decides to have a calf and I would just as soon be in a nice warm bed myself. If you are smart enough to be a vet you should be smart enough to realize you might have to go to work "After hours".

aj

Well by god sue the vet then! Out here the vets pass a little list around. It is list of dead beats. They can refuse service to you. maybe if you got on that list as a whiner you would quit making childish matings. There are some people that it is just not worth working with.

cowman 52

OH --know your pain-  been there  seems like 100 or so times--take every thing that you learned in this wreck{not trying to be A J]  Andlearn from it.  vet's today are in it for a job-  no more no less-- he was not ready  and will never be on top of his game when you need him--- learn to ck the heifers 45 days or so before calving due date-  learn if it's a front or a back foot you find and how big is it-  throw those d**n epd's away and watch--  in the mean time find an labor/delivery nurse and pick their brain{my ex was my teacher-- calved a LOT of heifers and learned a bunch]   Now days you need to handle emergency's your self-- then if you lose one it's you a** on the line -- if you can walk away and say you did all you could then all the intellegent s o b 's can sit on the sidelines and opine
tomorrow will be a better day trust me and you are a lot smarter already-- best to you <beer>

aj

And if you don't want my opinion don't come on a world wide internet deal whining like a junior high cheerleader.

OH Breeder

aj said:
People who routinely put cows through this kind of abuse should not be allowed to own cattle. Its just a video game to you isn't? To me this is worse than starving cattle.

ROUTINE when DID I SAY i ROUTINELY put cows through a c-secion. Besides that it is healthy for a cow to have a c-section than to have a prolapse and tear the arteries and bleed to death. I DO not treat my cows like that. The cow in question has had two heat wave calves that were 80#'s and 85#'s actual weights at birth. This was her third calf natural calf. Her first calf was a Who Da Man with a 75# bw. I plan my matings. Did I say sue? I never once said sue. I just do'nt think i should assume full bill for his mileage etc because HE had to drive back and Get SUTURE. I refuse to discuss my cattle operation with a man that will put club folks down and TH cattle yet try to profit from selling one in Denever. Its called a hypocrite. Talk about childish go back read your ASSUMPTIONS.
I am not a whiner and if you read my post RARELY have I or do I post things of this nature.

justme

This comment alone showed your ignorance... are you tipping the bottle and need to rant tonite?

justme

OH Breeder, just rack him up to ignorance.  I've met you and your one heck of a guy (thumbsup).  The cow your talking about is one doosey of a cow.  A person would be lucky to own a cow with her genetics and success.  I feel your pain, but don't let a bitter man who does occassional rants bring you down.  Looks like someone deserves a Steerplanet timeout again!

OH Breeder

justme said:
OH Breeder, just rack him up to ignorance.  I've met you and your one heck of a guy (thumbsup).  The cow your talking about is one doosey of a cow.  A person would be lucky to own a cow with her genetics and success.  I feel your pain, but don't let a bitter man who does occassional rants bring you down.  Looks like someone deserves a Steerplanet timeout again!

Thank you Gidget. I do apprecaite that. IF anyone really knew me they would know I would never do anything to intentional breed cows that way. you know the cow why would I put her in that danger. Her genetics are valuable. I just have never heard of a vet showing up to do a surgical procedure with no suture. I think i said that from the beginning. Some folks are just miserable and hateful and they have to bring others down around them. I could state alot of assumptions i have about AJ just by looking at his picture.  I could go on but you are EXACTLY right. he is NOT worth it. He is a hypocite. I have to find that pot and kettle pic again.  ;D

cowman 52

This from a man with the past due list of the vet's and probably has a couple of jersy cross cow bred back to their bull calf from 3 yrs ago <party>

KLLR

OH Breeder,

Makes me cringe reading this post....we've known each other for quite some time, and I consider you an intelligent cattleman, and I don't like seeing all these harsh comments in this thread.  To me it sounds like a situation of several worst case scenarios colliding together to make a flat out disaster.....My family raises club calves and I am a large animal veterinarian, so I guess it gives me a unique perspective on the situation.  I don't want to be critical of anyone involved, my only piece of advice to you would be the following:  If your vet is someone you find to be skilled, and someone whom you have had a good relationship with over the years.  Don't let one negative outcome allow you to burn bridges which you may regret down the road....I guess what I'm saying is think it over and talk with your vet before doing anything rash.

I do have to address one particular comment made by MCC in this thread:

Personally, I do have a problem with this. It's like wanting to be a fireman but only fighting fires 8am to 5 pm. This brings me to another pet peeve. "After hour" charges. I can't control when a heifer decides to have a calf and I would just as soon be in a nice warm bed myself. If you are smart enough to be a vet you should be smart enough to realize you might have to go to work "After hours".
[/quote]

MCC you are free to have your opinions my friend, however I'm sure you are not a veterinarian or you would not be so against "After Hours" charges.  Your comparison to a fire fighter is laughable, fireman work generally work 24 on then 48 off, and I guarantee you that they are not asked to fight fires during those 48 hours they have off.  I work regular hours from aprox. 7:30 to 5 every day (except sunday)....I put in my 50 hours a week, and our clinic does provide "after hours service"  (which is getting to be more the exception than the norm).  When I get called out on an emergency it is essentially "on demand overtime", and trust me most clinics including ours don't charge near enough for it!  It is exceptionally consuming to be on call 24/7, and I guess it ticks me off to hear people like yourself complain about your vet charging extra for "after hours calls".  I'm guessing you would share my view on things if you actually were doing the work.  

frostback

I would have to bite my tongue and pay the charge for the section but would never pay for a extra trip charge. Cant see the vet having the balls to charge for that but stranger things have happened.

OH Breeder

KLLR said:
OH Breeder,

Makes me cringe reading this post....we've known each other for quite some time, and I consider you an intelligent cattleman, and I don't like seeing all these harsh comments in this thread.  To me it sounds like a situation of several worst case scenarios colliding together to make a flat out disaster.....My family raises club calves and I am a large animal veterinarian, so I guess it gives me a unique perspective on the situation.  I don't want to be critical of anyone involved, my only piece of advice to you would be the following:  If your vet is someone you find to be skilled, and someone whom you have had a good relationship with over the years.  Don't let one negative outcome allow you to burn bridges which you may regret down the road....I guess what I'm saying is think it over and talk with your vet before doing anything rash.

I do have to address one particular comment made by MCC in this thread:

MCC you are free to have your opinions my friend, however I'm sure you are not a veterinarian or you would not be so against "After Hours" charges.  Your comparison to a fire fighter is laughable, fireman work generally work 24 on then 48 off, and I guarantee you that they are not asked to fight fires during those 48 hours they have off.  I work regular hours from aprox. 7:30 to 5 every day (except sunday)....I put in my 50 hours a week, and our clinic does provide "after hours service"  (which is getting to be more the exception than the norm).  When I get called out on an emergency it is essentially "on demand overtime", and trust me most clinics including ours don't charge near enough for it!  It is exceptionally consuming to be on call 24/7, and I guess it ticks me off to hear people like yourself complain about your vet charging extra for "after hours calls".  I'm guessing you would share my view on things if you actually were doing the work.  

[/quote]

Dr. Keller

I worked in hospital too long to take any rash action. My vet is very good I just never had quiet this experience. I know what you are saying and assume part of the issues as we were overdue way way. I more and likely will sit down with a cup of coffee and tell him I am pretty disappointed in his lack of preparation and nothing more. I can only hope for a break on the vet bill but I have a live cow which is more important and what I am truley thankful for. I know you understand the occassionof a  rare of occurance of a freak of nature.

thank you for your input
Shawn

KLLR

That I do Shawn, see something new practically every week.....comes with the territory I guess :)

Hope the rest of calving has been goin well.  Look forward to seeing you this fall.

take care,
wk

aj

mcc might have a point. Its just a job to them. What do they know about animal husbandry? Just because they spent 7 years studying like a dog. Its not like they spent one third of their life working with animals. I'm pretty sure the vets are the bad guys. Like the guys who test for genetic defects. They are the bad guys. Oh guy. You said you would never do something to hurt a cow. I was told that heatwave had a 140# bwt. I guess you can use him though cause you are you and and you are a nurse that goes to church. If you hold your head right You won't have a big calf? I just don't get that part of the deal. How can you say that? I use a bull that had a 140# bwt but I would never do anything to jeperdize a cow health? I can't get by this. Do you induce these cows then? Thanks in advance.

Bulldaddy

The trip fee is not the problem. I would pay the vet and never use him again.  Surely he could have gotten the calf out while someone else went for the suture material.  Always something to learn from bad experiences.  I like to weigh them with a tape before I make a decision on pulling or a c-section.  It sounds like you did everything you could to save the calf.   

AStar

You have to remember we are all humans and we all make mistakes. In this case you both made mistakes and you should just put this to rest. The calf more than likely would not have lived for long anyways.

OH Breeder

aj said:
mcc might have a point. Its just a job to them. What do they know about animal husbandry? Just because they spent 7 years studying like a dog. Its not like they spent one third of their life working with animals. I'm pretty sure the vets are the bad guys. Like the guys who test for genetic defects. They are the bad guys. Oh guy. You said you would never do something to hurt a cow. I was told that heatwave had a 140# bwt. I guess you can use him though cause you are you and and you are a nurse that goes to church. If you hold your head right You won't have a big calf? I just don't get that part of the deal. How can you say that? I use a bull that had a 140# bwt but I would never do anything to jeperdize a cow health? I can't get by this. Do you induce these cows then? Thanks in advance.

You do'nt use club calf bulls period. I was told were a nice guy. BUT WOW if that ain't a lie.......  Do you know the breeders of HW? Do you use HW? Since you seem to be SUCH a club calf resource. Let me ask thanks in advance.
I do induce any cow that I suspect there are issues on or before due date. Any cow that is not bred ot calving ease bull is checked by my vet in the last trimester. I have used HW twice in my life. Like it matters AJ- You use carrier genetics and bash people for having carriers and then try to come on here with your hollier than thou attitude. What's the difference?
Maybe you should go to church more might make you a happier person. God Bless You!

Status
Not open for further replies.