mane n tail

Help Support Steer Planet:

BRF

does anybody use maine n tail conditioner on there calves? if so how often?

Simmgal

YES! I have noticed a HUGE difference between calves I wash with mane and tail shampoo and conditioner than the ones I was with dish soap. The hair feels so much softer and more "alive" and is more shiny and has more body after conditioning. I have used it for a while and will continue to :) (thumbsup) Dish soap is a biiig no no anyway!

BRF

thanks. how often do you condition? how soon could you tell the difference in the hair?

Simmgal

I just condition whenever I wash them. I can usually tell a difference the first time I wash. I am not crazy about growing hair, so I do not wash alot, but I can still tell a difference.

rjb

U want to notice difference add the conditioner in with sheen. And dish soap wont hurt if you u keep their hair healthy! I've used dish soap for 20 yrs and have not ever had a problem with hair.just don't over wash with soap

Simmgal

rjb said:
U want to notice difference add the conditioner in with sheen. And dish soap wont hurt if you u keep their hair healthy! I've used dish soap for 20 yrs and have not ever had a problem with hair.just don't over wash with soap
Really? Did you condition the hair with something after washing? After I wash with dish soap, the hair feels dead and rigid. Maybe I was using the wrong type! But I have noticed with mane and tail it is a but hard to get all of the soap out. Just like any other soap, rinse for a good while to make sure eveything comes out. Even though the conditioner says that it is a leave it, if you leave too much, it will become sticky and make the hair look greasy.

i use mane and tail on my own hair :) i wouldnt want to waste it on cattle. i purchase the family sized bottle of SUAVE at the local grocery store. i think that it works pretty well, i wash show cattle daily and i always suggest everyone at my barn to do so as well. in my area a bottle of that shampoo runs just over a dollar so compared to the mane and tail that i could purchase at the local feed store for almost 8 dollars I can get a lot more for the price. I might sound cheap but part of showing market cattle is to make a profit off of the animal.

bwood

depends on how much money you are willing to spend. we have always only washed our calves with regular dawn dish soap and it's always worked great cutting oils and dirt...i do know there are tons more products that condition after you've washed your calf and blown him out...that work just as good and don't cost as much...just have to look around and when you've found something you like, use it

CANsteer

Simmgal said:
I just condition whenever I wash them. I can usually tell a difference the first time I wash. I am not crazy about growing hair, so I do not wash alot, but I can still tell a difference.
how do you apply the conditioner?

Cattle7

We use V05. Runs about $1.00. We wash once a week with 3 head and a bottle will last us two weeks. It does not take very much at all. Easy to get out and our hair looks shiny!

Simmgal

CANsteer said:
Simmgal said:
how do you apply the conditioner?
I usually pour some on and then rub it in the hair with my hands, then go back over it with a rice brush or a curry comb, depending on how thier hair is. Sometimes the way I apply varies depending on the animal, but I usually make sure that I brush the conditioner into the hair in addition to rubbing it on.

ShowCalves2010

Cattle7 said:
We use V05. Runs about $1.00. We wash once a week with 3 head and a bottle will last us two weeks. It does not take very much at all. Easy to get out and our hair looks shiny!

I use that stuff too!  The Strawberry kind is great and leaves the cattle smelling awesome.

dcbehle

We use a Suave product for washing, but we typically don't wash them very often. However, after the evening rinses we use a blended product that we learned from this web site. 2-parts vinegar and 1- part Infusium. The Infusium is a premium hair care product that can be found at Walmart or Target. We mix this in a spray bottle and spray a little on the calves and brush in with a rice root brush. The vinegar is great for the skin and the Infusium is excellent for conditioning the hair with out bogging it down. During periods with higher fly populations, we mix in a little permethrin concentrated fly spray.

Nothing better than a cooled off, comfortable calf that doesn't have to shake all day to get rid of the flies.  O0