Mange? Lice? Fungus? Ring Worm?

Help Support Steer Planet:

hj.380

Okay, Hi. I've been showing for one year and before that just had family cattle, this cow has a problem we've never seen before and really need it cleared as my first show is March 18th. The pictures are rough, but I did my best. Please help me identify the problem and help me find solutions. Also, the cow seems to have like flaky scab looking things in the hair, but no bumps I can find. The area that is bald is gray and appears scabbed over. I'm very worried and she is with another calf I plan to show, and I really need this taken care of ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 249

Chuck Wagon

If it scabbing over then its probably ring worms/ fungus.  its no problem,any number of remedies will take care of it.  get some antifungal spray at wal mart or dollar general. I have also had success using coconut oil as long as animal is not in sun. 

hj.380

Okay thank you! I have some coronas multi-purpose ointment as well as some coconut oil, would you just rub to the infected area or around? Thank you for your help! I'll also be asking my local vet and can probably gain access to betadine? Thanks!

Chuck Wagon

yes, i use latex gloves when applying. fungal spores need air to survive and the oil basically suffocates it, then the skin and hair takes a week or 2 to heal

Just be careful with oil and sun, it will burn the hide. if in sun I use tinactin spray