Marble bone in black Angus

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Since I spent hours and hours tracing the known RA MB carriers to an old 1900 black bull, and was 100% sure that all the pieces fit together, I was dismayed that the original report from Dr B was that the mutations in the Angus and Red Angus were not the same and that the test for marble bone in RA does not work for blacks

BUT WAIT - turns out the black calf that was thought to be a marble bone calf - whose tissues were used to test for the mutation in blacks - did not have marble bone (sort of like looking for a red gene in a homozygous black bull) so THE ANSWER IS...

The frequency of MB in blacks is EXTREMELY LOW
The mutation is the SAME
The RA test will work on blacks
and the pedigree hunt is probably accurate

This shows the importance of accurate pathological diagnosis when basing gene hunts of phenotype

loveRedcows

Thanks DL for keeping us up to date on these genetic defects.  I also spent many hours tracing pedigrees on my herd & was dimayed that he appeared in most all of my lineages so I went ahead & had all of my herd sires tested.  I'm hoping others will do the same.

DL

aj said:
Stormalong. Wasn't that a common start? Dang its been a while.

The oldest tested RA marble bone carrier is a grandson of Stormalong BKT STRM 751626 (RAAA
#8605, born 1964) - Stormalong was a Red Angus out of 2 black parents - following the talk and the pedigrees and including the documented black Angus MB carriers one can go way back to 1900 -- it has been a while  ;)

sue

DL
If I send you my RA reg # can you tell from those? I pretty sure no issues - I only have two cow families left in my herd. I could offer cold refreshments @ OBE???

sue

DL

sue said:
DL
If I send you my RA reg # can you tell from those? I pretty sure no issues - I only have two cow families left in my herd. I could offer cold refreshments @ OBE???

sue

absolutely  ;)

sue

DL
Here are the Reg Numbers- Tag # 22 1018441  and  Tag #  28  1073436.  One is a Monu 4X daughter and the other is a Make Mimi.

Usually we serve the Green drink with lime and umbrella or the Tomato drink with celery or pickle ::) 

See you in Ohio

IowaAngus

thanks for giving the update!

They haven't happened to test the white angus line yet have they? I doubt that line would have any in it but its always possible!