Maternal Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

AAOK

2010showin said:
What are some good maternally bred bulls that will sire good females.

Everbody on this board is always questioning what Bull to use on this and that cow to produce so and so.  Do you not realize the Cow has a lot more to do with it than the Bull?

Bulldaddy

AAOK said:
2010showin said:

Everbody on this board is always questioning what Bull to use on this and that cow to produce so and so.  Do you not realize the Cow has a lot more to do with it than the Bull?

Good point but according to my math the cow is just 1/2 the equation.  If one was trying to improve the maternal traits of some club calf lines it would make sense to choose sires that are strong in maternal traits.

knabe

Bulldaddy said:
Good point but according to my math the cow is just 1/2 the equation.  If one was trying to improve the maternal traits of some club calf lines it would make sense to choose sires that are strong in maternal traits.

wrong, wrong, wrong.

there is new math, it is called epigenetics and methylation.  maine's are maternal and tend to throw to the cow.

have you ever heard of someone being successful at putting milk into bloodlines out of poplar hvn red alert 54t, ie, polleroid, limited edition, sooner?

have you ever heard of someone putting milk into east german women swimmers on steroids?

how about beef friesian?  they have milk.

it's why the females out of those lines are terminal and there should be more market heifer classes with proof of snipping.

2010showin

AAOK said:
2010showin said:

Yea but if trying to make females you aren't going to breed to heat wave or a son of heat wave that is all TERMINAL breeding.

AAOK

knabe said:
Bulldaddy said:

wrong, wrong, wrong.

there is new math, it is called epigenetics and methylation.  maine's are maternal and tend to throw to the cow.

have you ever heard of someone being successful at putting milk into bloodlines out of poplar hvn red alert 54t, ie, polleroid, limited edition, sooner?

have you ever heard of someone putting milk into east german women swimmers on steroids?

how about beef friesian?  they have milk.

it's why the females out of those lines are terminal and there should be more market heifer classes with proof of snipping.

I knew you would come to the rescue if I was late getting back to this thread.

simtal

Bulldaddy said:
AAOK said:
2010showin said:

most the genetic improvement over time is due to the bull.

AAOK

I just had to say that, and Knabe is correct, it is not 50% Bull and 50% Cow.  Most geneticists will tell you the bull passes on more heritable traits than the cow.  I prefer to believe the old, and 3rd or 4th generation cattlemen who will tell you the cow does much more to contribute to the overall genotype &  phenotype of the calf.  Therefore, if your cow is great, breed her to whatever bull you like, and expect a nice calf.  If your cow is sorry, breed her to the best, and most consistant bull in the world, and she will most likely have a mediocre calf.  If your cow is somewhere in between, post on ShowSteers, and take your pick of the replies.

My first recommendation is always the Maine-Anjou bull FR Magic 179X  

Latest posts