maternal sires

Help Support Steer Planet:

qbcattle

Through yalls experience are there any clubby sires that yall would consider maternal? If so fill me in! Im looking at clubby sires or maine sires either one.

hart

im very interested in the same question!
iv heard magic, pistel pete, and madis (pete is likely the only one youd want to risk wasting a straw or 2 on if the old girl is hard to bred, as the other 2 are a little on the pricy side.) as a few...
others!?!

olsun

Whitch Dr.,Foreplay, Maine Break, Who and some of his sons are a few that come to mind. I am also wondering about the Taz bull, what do others think?

CAB

Hairy bear, Strickly Business, Ground Zero, Dr. Who, Hannibal, Mr. Clean, Rocky Balboa. Is the bull, Hairy clean?

Bjk cattle

Check out a bull called Oklahoma Storm. I own a couple of his heifers and have seen cows out of him. Great mommas and give alot of milk. I'm using him again on a couple more cows this year.

ECC

my new bull See-N-Starz.  Check him out at everhartshowcattle.com

Ruchian

CAB said:
Hairy bear, Strickly Business, Ground Zero, Dr. Who, Hannibal, Mr. Clean, Rocky Balboa. Is the bull, Hairy clean?
I'm pretty sure Hairy is clean

OH Breeder

ECC said:
my new bull See-N-Starz.  Check him out at everhartshowcattle.com

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but how would you know he is a maternal sire when this year was the first semen was available?

ECC

To be honest you would be corret.  I do not know for sure that he will be.  I am just going by his pedigree, how he as matured, and he developed. 

CAB

Dero, glad to see that you mentioned the bull, JCS Momentum. He is a bull that I have been watching & wanting to know more about. Do you personally have or have  you seen calves out of him? I am looking for a higher % Chi bull to use to make mommas. Of coarse my biggest fear is that he may add too much frame. Do you want to  keep us informed about how this bull works? With Crush being gone with virtually no semen bank, Momentum seems to be the next best bull to me. Thanks, Brent

Dero

I have not seen him in person, but I have seen several calves that he sired, personaly I don't think these calves are going to be to framie. Melroe says he's a clubby bull in a Chiangus package.

CAB

I did see him out in Denver the year that his was part of the reserve pen of three and have been waiting to hear about his offspring.He did look like he had the possibility of siring some steers along with females. Do you know if the steer calves are carrying some sheath on them?

Thought that I would mention that this thread along with the " best SM bull today" thread are and have been very informative and that I like these threads that we can all possibly learn something from. Thanks to all. Brent

Jacob B

I don't know a ton about the club calf world, but doesn't it seem like a club calf bull becomes what is considered to club calf breeders as "maternal" when the bull gets a little age on him and is no longer the "Hot New Thing" but yet still has the ability to produce some good ones.  I remember when WHO was a stickly terminal from the standpoint of structure.  Now he's a maternal?

cowman

Dero said:
I have not seen him in person, but I have seen several calves that he sired, personaly I don't think these calves are going to be to framie. Melroe says he's a clubby bull in a Chiangus package.

Dero, anything you can tell us about the Momentum calves? Thick? Hairy? Front ends?

CAB

Jacob B said:
I don't know a ton about the club calf world, but doesn't it seem like a club calf bull becomes what is considered to club calf breeders as "maternal" when the bull gets a little age on him and is no longer the "Hot New Thing" but yet still has the ability to produce some good ones.  I remember when WHO was a stickly terminal from the standpoint of structure.  Now he's a maternal?

I don't think that is is just in the clubbie world that it takes some time to see if a bull can produce females that work, but rather it should take some time to tell for sure. I know that I put up some bull names that would be considered too young to even be on this thread, but I am always looking for bull that can make great females. I don't know what the minimum age a bull should be to qualify, but it would be nice to have some #s to compare in different regions and management.

Dero

The calves that I saw were only a few weeks old at the time.  For their age they did seem pretty shaggy for Chiangus calves